• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch?'s

redneckracerx

I got a few questions on how a pto winch works. From what I understand they are driven from a driveshaft that is attached to either the transmission or the transfer case. When you engage the pto the shaft spins and the winch does its thing. this is where the questions come in. Is the winch always moving when the shaft is spinning or is there a nuetral position on the winch? Could you leave the pto running all the time and not pull cable? As you can tell I don't have a winch yet but I have some ideas and am trying to figure out if they'll work.

redneckracerx,
Nick

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there is a clutch control lever on the winch itself. If not engaged you can spin the driveshaft w/o turning the cable drum. But I'm sure this was not designed as a "neutral" position to be running all the time!
Get the double output tranny PTO or the T-case PTO to independently power other devices such as a hydraulic pump.

Gerhard

rizzo

the PTO shifter has these options High-Neutral-Low-Neutral-Reverse. there is no reason to have the PTO running all the time. Shift lever lockers are also available so that you don't accidentally bump the lever out of neutral

redneckracerx

Maybe I should explain what I'm trying to do. I'm building a wheeling truck that will have a dual t-case setup. The first case(np208) will be married to the trans, the second case (np200) will be divorced and will take the input from the rear of the first case. With this setup my front output of the front t-case will not have a shaft on it and I figured I could use it to drive a winch. Front case in 4wheel rear case in nuetral engage winch and reel cable. But if I ever needed to run both cases in low it would spin the winch shaft while I was driving. Mind you not for very long as I dont think I'll be driving to far or fast with 2 t-cases in low range but I just wanted to know if I could disengage the winch.

rizzo

I'm going to do the same with a 203, but I have to take the diff. out and make it a partime box so that i can turn the front shaft on-off whenever I want.

Elwenil

I would not use a NP200, they are very poor transfer cases and do not like any speeds over 45 MPH in most cases or long duration running in low range. Use a NP205 instead, much better design.

Elwenil

Also a much better idea would be to use a NP203/NP205 doubler and just run a PTO on either your trans or the 205. Running a winch off a transfer case output might seem like a good idea, but the ratios may be horribly unsuited for the winch and plus you have the problems of engaging low range in the front case. PTOs are not real expensive and can be found relatively cheap used. The doubler, on the other hand, can be a bit expensive but probably worth it when you consider driveline length and durability issues.

rizzo

Elwenil said:
Also a much better idea would be to use a NP203/NP205 doubler and just run a PTO on either your trans or the 205. Running a winch off a transfer case output might seem like a good idea, but the ratios may be horribly unsuited for the winch and plus you have the problems of engaging low range in the front case. PTOs are not real expensive and can be found relatively cheap used. The doubler, on the other hand, can be a bit expensive but probably worth it when you consider driveline length and durability issues.
I don't think they make a doubler adaptor for a 5ton t-case. I wonder how much a PTO for a 5ton t-case is? how much is a PTO for a NP205?

rizzo

I'm using a 5 ton t-case. I'm putting a NP203 in front of it mated to an auto trans. the only way I can get a PTO on it is to use a 5ton t-case PTO.
$100 sounds good for a NP205 PTO.

redneckracerx

The reason I want to use the 200 is because both outputs are offset, I can then clock the case so that both outputs are in the six o clock position. eliminating any driveline issues. I have heard that the 200 and 205 internals are interchangeable if this is true why is the 205 able to run down the highway and the 200 not? Would using the 200 internals in a 205 case work better? On a side note drivetrain length is not a big concern.

redneckracerx

Not to make you guys feel all big headed or anything but this is THE place for all that is military PERIOD! I'm building a truck that uses military parts and who better to ask than the people that live it. If there is a better area (or forum) to post my questions please let me know. BTW, there seems to be some interest in this setup...

Rizzo-What is your complete drivetrain going to be and what type of vehicle is it in? Never heard of a np203 in a military vehicle?

Elwenil

Well as far as the "What's this got to do with a Duece?" question, technically this has nothing to do with a Duece and the reasoning for the question is that this is posted in the "Duece Modification and Hot-Rodding" Forum so it is a valid point. Perhaps the "Conversations" or maybe the M715 forum would have been better since the NP200 is the stock case in a M715 and there are quite a few guys that have swapped 200s and 205s around in them.

As for 205 internals being the same as the 200 internals, I don't think they are. Very similar but I don't think much will interchange. I do believe that Mikel has converted a 205 with 200 parts to get the dual outputs though, but I may be wrong. I'm positive I swap pics of that being done somewhere and I know he is using a dual output case for his 6x6 conversion. I know that some of the parts will swap, as many M715 owners have put the original M715 E-brake setup on a 205 when swapping one into a 715.

The NP203 was the case used in the Dodge M880 series of trucks from the 1970s era.

rizzo

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5397

it is a M810 (5 ton cab and chasis w/cummins motor) with a 413 mopar truck motor in it w/auto trans divorced to the 5ton t-case and stock from then on except for the 16.00-20 michelin tires. The 413 doen't have enough power to turn the wheels fast so I am going to change to a auto trans with a mated NP203. I will only be using the gearcase of the 203 for reduction so the fact that it is a chain drive means nothing. its basically a divorced doubler.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if you use the 5t tcase pto BESURE that you use the oiler that goes with it or you WILL fry the tcase for lack of lub when run in neutral

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks