• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch shear pins-- Cheapest??

steelandcanvas

go to the local hardware store and get the cheapested 1/4 inch bolts and that should do the trick bolts are just a little harder than the shear pins but a whole lot cheaper just remember to take along a shear pin for the correct length
My deuce came with the pin sheared. I replaced it with a "roll pin" also sometimes called a "spring pin" They are steel, but hollow. Have not checked the torgue to shear it compared to the aluminum.
Not even anywhere near a good idea. Cheaper? You won't think "a whole lot cheaper" when that winch comes apart.
That roll pin is way harder than the correct aluminum OEM pin. These fixes might be OK in a dire need situation, but still not worth the winch exposing it's innards. Just my 2cents.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have a mil speck pin in my 813 and when pulling a deuce out of the mud i broke the pto shaft instead of the pin????? So i don't know what the toque specks are on the pins.
Just curious, what broke on the drive shaft, did the shaft twist or a u-joint take a dump?????

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wishfull thinking.

Speedwoble

A ROLL PIN, WILL NOT SHERE like a shear pin, It will crack, break, deform, but not shear (unless under a HIGH shock load), a roll pin will KILL a winch and the protected connection.
I appreciate the concern and I appreciate the experience, but I think you misunderstood. This was not a desire to be cheap.
The winch had a failed roll pin in it which had sheared cleanly. Perhaps the NG we had bought the truck from should have used the aluminum pin, but regardless, that was the way the truck was and I can attest that it will shear. I replaced it with a roll pin which I later sheared cleanly.
That said, this prompted me to do the calculation I always wondered about.

SAE lists a 0.25" roll pin as 7050 lb in double shear.
0.25" 6061 aluminum is 2945lbs in double shear, 2024 is 4025 lbs, 7075-T6 is 4700 lbs.
Frankly I am surprised, I am possibly subjecting the winch to double the original load.

So, you are correct, not in that roll pins are not designed for shear(they are), but they are too strong for this application.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fact that a roll pin will shear and has a shear rating, does not mean they are meant to be used as a shear pin.

Barneyszoo

I found alu rods at MacMaster-Carr its 2024, but you have to get 5/16 .312, and tune it down to 9/32, .281, its about 10 bucks for three feet. if you have a lathe you could make a few. 6061-T651 is to hard.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think there might have been a bad spot in it, had it retubed. Haven't tried it under load yet.
YOU know this brings up a good point, when was the last time you INSPECTED your winch drive shaft, or is it something just there. On a drive shaft like this, it does not take much for it to loose it's integrity, a bend, dent, ect,

jatonka

73M819, you are so right about the 1/4" bolt ruining the holes in the input shaft and drive shaft collar. SO Right.......... hope people understand what it does to the whole system. JT

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just throwing it out there, see if your hardware store has sheer pins, our local true value has a boat load a different size sheer pins
The only shear pins I've seen in hardware stores are for farm equipment and are steel. Steel = not good.

If you do a little searching around here you'll see several pics of busted winch housings and PTOs ripped off the side of transmissions. All of these were due to using the wrong shear pin. When they designed the winch they figured the max torque the setup could handle (and probably did some destructive testing). They matched the shear pin to what they thought the winch could safely handle.

steelandcanvas

I thought I saw Shear Pins on Saturn's site before. Give Jay at Saturn a call and ask him about availability. I looked at Jatonka's site also. Give John a call and ask him the same.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Speedwoble SAE lists a[B said:
0.25"[/B] roll pin as 7050 lb in double shear.
0.25" 6061 aluminum is 2945lbs in double shear, 2024 is 4025 lbs, 7075-T6 is 4700 lbs.
Frankly I am surprised, I am possibly subjecting the winch to double the original load.
So, you are correct, not in that roll pins are not designed for shear(they are), but they are too strong for this application.
0.25"=1/4", this is to small to use as a shear pin, it will WOLLOW out the HOLE for the shear pin, RUINING both pieces of the connection, the more this is used, the easier it will be to shear, at some point in time Both of these parts will need to be replaced (=$$$) as a set.

The use of the undersized pin along with the WOLLOWING out of the shear connection may have saved your winch from the over load

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks