• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Shear Pins

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size is the 5 tons shear pin?
Does this help?

5315-00-209-7979 Characteristics Data

MRC Criteria Characteristic MATT MATERIAL ALUMINUM ALLOY 2017 OVERALL MDCL MATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATION QQ-A-225/5 FED SPEC SINGLE MATERIAL RESPONSE OVERALL SFTT SURFACE TREATMENT ANODIZE OVERALL STDC SURFACE TREATMENT DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATION MIL-A-8625 MIL SPEC SINGLE TREATMENT RESPONSE OVERALL AAGZ FIRST END STYLE 1 CHAMFERED AMCS FIRST END TAPER LENGTH 0.016 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.047 INCHES MAXIMUM CRMG FIRST END TAPER ANGLE 43.0 DEGREES MINIMUM AND 47.0 DEGREES MAXIMUM CQBB SECOND END RELATIONSHIP WITH FIRST END IDENTICAL ABRB HOLE ARRANGEMENT STYLE 2 BOTH ENDS DRILLED ABRC FIRST HOLE DIAMETER 0.094 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.125 INCHES MAXIMUM ABRD SECOND HOLE DIAMETER 0.094 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.125 INCHES MAXIMUM ABRE DISTANCE FROM CENTERLINE OF HOLE TO END OF PIN 0.109 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.141 INCHES MAXIMUM ABRF CENTER TO CENTER DISTANCE BETWEEN HOLES 2.359 INCHES MINIMUM AND 2.391 INCHES MAXIMUM CSYM SURFACE FINISH 63.0 MICROINCHES OUTSIDE DIAMETER ACHT PIN OVERALL LENGTH 2.609 INCHES MINIMUM AND 2.641 INCHES MAXIMUM ACHU PIN OVERALL DIAMETER 0.3650 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.3700 INCHES MAXIMUM

Edit: Copied and pasted Google hit for "5315-00-209-7979"

Last edited:

smoothnu

Mr. Cranetruck, thank you for the info. Do you know the shear strength of this 2017 alloy? I found some 3/8" 2024T4 round stock and was hoping I could use this for my 5 ton and my deuce. (turned down for the deuce of coarse) It is my understanding that the 2024T4 material is used for the deuces winch. If this material is suitable for both it would be a great find. Considering I can get it for a fraction of the price of a prefabbed shear pin. Thanks in advance for any and all info.

Orionspath

Shear Pins...Virginia

We too here in Virginia have the same affections for our winched trucks! Recently, I had installed a 10k on my 88' M35A2C from a '71. My cousins and I learned that we could recover timber that had been blown over utilizing the winch and block from the road. Sheare pins are 5/16" in diameter and roughly 2.5 " in length. After pulling a dozen or so out of the woods to the road, the winch stopped working and we soon realized what had occurred. A trip to Southern States for a PTO Shear pin was our original idea but never got passsed the frequented NAPA store. In farming country, bush hogs and farm equipment are in need of replacement pins often. Try stopping by Tractor Supply or Southern States the next time you see one and see the parts manager. I looked at SaturnSurplus.com and had a bit of trouble trying to find the pins. Turns out that there is no stock number listed (last time I looked).

Sorry no pictures at this point on the "winch over". But man am I jacked to finally have on one on my duece!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We too here in Virginia have the same affections for our winched trucks! Recently, I had installed a 10k on my 88' M35A2C from a '71. My cousins and I learned that we could recover timber that had been blown over utilizing the winch and block from the road. Sheare pins are 5/16" in diameter and roughly 2.5 " in length. After pulling a dozen or so out of the woods to the road, the winch stopped working and we soon realized what had occurred. A trip to Southern States for a PTO Shear pin was our original idea but never got passsed the frequented NAPA store. In farming country, bush hogs and farm equipment are in need of replacement pins often. Try stopping by Tractor Supply or Southern States the next time you see one and see the parts manager. I looked at SaturnSurplus.com and had a bit of trouble trying to find the pins. Turns out that there is no stock number listed (last time I looked).

Sorry no pictures at this point on the "winch over". But man am I jacked to finally have on one on my duece!
All the farm equipment shear pins I've ever seen were steel. I would think you could be in trouble using a steel shear pin.

The factory pins are 9/32" in dia. also. I think you may be ok using a 5/16 aluminum pin but not a steel one.

GoHot229

All the farm equipment shear pins I've ever seen were steel. I would think you could be in trouble using a steel shear pin.

The factory pins are 9/32" in dia. also. I think you may be ok using a 5/16 aluminum pin but not a steel one.
I'v used them in my farm equiptment and I believe they are something less than a grade five bolt, but the ease of getting them makes them attractive. I think if you can pull in a straight dirrection you will be ok, they shouldl shear after an aluminum, but before a grade five.
Winches are so overated, I'v never needed one for real yet, and those who do, were doing (**** ***) stuff most of the time admit it.

yeager1

If you're going to make them, I agree to the using 5/16's, it's cheaper and readily available. Shear strenght is similar and probably well within the safety factor of the original design.

tmbrwolf

NEVER EVER use an ag shear pin, I can say from experiance they will not break before the winch / PTO does. That is a problem I have here with fire departments, they break the pin and then use a bolt or a steel shear pin, then they're calling me because they now broke something, after which I remove the offending broken component (and all the other parts) and they get the truck back winchless.

avengeusa

once i get the specs nailed down for the 2.5 ton shear pins i am gonna run off a bunch of them, 1.40 each, i plan on doing 1000 of them

tjcouch

Some questions after reading this thread:

If your cable is in good condition, and you have the mil spec shear pin, is there any way you could snap the cable? Just a safety question - I am sure the designers had personnel safety at the fore front - just wanting confirmation.

Second: why on earth is it rated at 10K? Good lawrd, the wee electric winch on my Jeep is rated at 8K. Does the pin shear at 10K? Is that the idea?

When a pin shears, does the cable just drop to the ground? I would assume at worst the drum might spin in reverse a could of time as it unloads - has anyone observed this?

ETHOS

I have broken shear pins, multiple, and 6061 is not near as tough as the stock ones

I have also broken 2 cables, the cable just drops to the ground, and does not unspool the drum

Jakelc15

•Cables break when misused or damaged.
•Yep it's under rated, get a snatch block.
•When I broke my shear pin, the winch just stopped. No cable lash.

Jeeperjoe

With my past towing experiance you Need to use snatch blocks... If im not mistaken these trucks weigh in at what 13,000-13,500 lbs and the winch is rated for what 10k? yeah time to use the block... or 2 also when you watch the military (current era) recover a vehicle they use ALOT of snatch blocks to the point of where approx 5-10 soldiers can extract a vehicle by hand.... snatch blocks are indeed your friend and if used correctly can save you ALOT of headache.... ( and shear pins )

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Second: why on earth is it rated at 10K? Good lawrd, the wee electric winch on my Jeep is rated at 8K. Does the pin shear at 10K? Is that the idea?
PTO winches are rated pretty close to accual line pull. Most electric winches use some sort of formula to rate their winches that takes into account for rolling loads ( which is wrong IMO). Bottom line is you can take a 12,000lb electric winch and a 8,000lb PTO winch will outpull it.

USMC6062

I used my winch for the first time today, what a disappointment. I was trying to pull a K5 blazer out of the mud that was barried to the frame. The first time I put tension on it, the shear pin broke. I didn't even feel much of a strain on the winch, or hear anything pop. The pin I had in it came from Saturn Surplus. I put another pin that I found laying in the tool box of my latest duece purchase. I was able to winch my now stuck self out, but that second pin sheared right before I had the cable almost reeled in. The second pin at least held long enough to feel like the truck was doing something, and "popped" when it let go. I think it was Doghead who had trouble with Saturn's pins, and I'm thinking too, that they are made of weaker material. I'm gonna start making my own out of something, I may try brass, I saw it mentioned in here that it had similar shear strength to the aluminum pins.

Big CASE

Hey all CASE here , I have a M35-A2 winch Truck for recovery.. it is what I have dun for so time..
If you have the aluminum pin good if you are going to use the winch a lot or just on BIG things you are going to want a Farm hitch pin , you will have to cut it down too fit and pin it in place .. or you can go get (cool roll steel ) and make a pin .. if you are going to use a grad 8 bolt buy 6 or 7 of them , they will brake and you will need new ones..
if you are winching .. you want to be at 1,000 RPM NO more that this speed you can move any thing & use you hand throttled .
and if you have to winch some thing BIG use a stanch block and make a 3 or 4 lines . you can make your 10.000 pound winch into 40.000 pounds or bigger ..

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish everybody recomending using steel bolts or pins (of any grade) would take a look at these threads.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/17076-shear-pins-do-work.html?highlight=bolt+shear+pin

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/26126-winch-fragged.html?highlight=bolt+shear+pin

I have also seen the PTO ripped off the side of the trans.

If you want to take the chance of destoying your winch go ahead and use a steel pin. I know it seems the AL pin is too soft and there could be another material that would give better performance but steel is not the answer.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have also seen the PTO ripped off the side of the trans.

If you want to take the chance of destoying your winch go ahead and use a steel pin. I know it seems the AL pin is too soft and there could be another material that would give better performance but steel is not the answer.

:ditto:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks