• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Stuck

pcbowman

When I picked up my duece, the cable and chain were so tight I could not get the drum brake into the out position. Does anyone have any tips on how to loosen the tension on the cable? I was hoping I would not have to cut the chain to loosen the tension, but I am running out of ideas after spending several hours trying to figuring it out. Let me know if you have any ideas...

JDToumanian

Looking back at the pics of your deuce, I see the chain is looped through the right front shackle... Take out the cotter pin and use a hammer and drift to knock the shackle pin out. Normally the pins can be removed by hand, but you will likely need the hammer and drift because of the tension. That should work unless there's something I'm not seeing in the pic...

Jon

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck runs, put the pto in reverse and unwind it. Or if it does not run, pto in neutral and use a pipe wrench and turn the pto shaft in the reverse direction to loosen the cable enough to get the drum engagement disengaged. When you say "drum brake" are you talking about the lever that can be seen in the picture posted above? That lever is not a drum brake, it engages and disengages the drum to allow you to free-spool the cable off. Never try to use it to "run" the winch from the front by yourself. It will not disengage under tension.(It is not designed to be used that way) Have you read the manual on how to properly operate the winch?

Towerguy1

Try the first two ideas first, If all else fails cut the shackel. Its the cheapest and the most easy to replace. However cut slowly preferably with a torch and stand well of to the side it will likely "jump" when it comes free.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peter, how did you make out with your winch cable?