• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch: What additional parts are needed?

quadfourgtz

I would like to put a 10K PTO winch on the front of my deuce. I've found a source for the winch, cable, and chain for under $700. However, I know that there are other parts required. Bumper extensions, PTO shaft, etc. My question is how much more should I be paying for the additional parts (or what is a reasonable price, what would you pay)? Price for "turnkey" parts went to $1600 w/o delivery. TIA

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do part together a kit, make darned sure that wherever you buy the winch, they give you the 12 shouldered bolts to install it. These are necessary and getting harder to find.

Reactions: DUG

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMO $700 for just the winch is too much. I've seen them sell for $300. Because most people sell winches as a complete setup, it's hard to find individual parts. PTOs go for $300+, driveshafts $200, and I have no idea what the brackets and shift linkage would go for but I'd say atleast you could add another couple of hundred. That would put you at around $1,400 if you could find all the parts.

As has been said above, complete setups can be had for $1K.

davey8943

If you do part together a kit, make darned sure that wherever you buy the winch, they give you the 12 shouldered bolts to install it. These are necessary and getting harder to find.
Kenny,

I may have just made a small mistake. :???:

I purchased a winch setup (winch, cable, bumper ext, pto, shift levers, etc). I didn't pick it up so I don't have a lot of details.

The mistake comes when I say I didn't get the bolts to mount it. What bolts are you referring to? I think I am missing the bumper extension to frame mounting bolts....

Thanks,
Dave

davey8943

Gringeltaube,

Thanks for the link to the thread... there is a lot of info there that I probably would not have found otherwise!

Turns out I am missing ONE of the 12 winch bracket to winch bolts. As well as the six long shackle - bumper - triangle bracket bolts.

It sounds like the long bolts are "finde-able" at an industrial bolt store, so I am not worried about them. How about one of the 12 specialty shoulder bolts? Anyone have a source for them? I can make one from mild steel hex stock... anyone wanna comment on the wisdom of one of the bolts being "not grade 8"? My reasoning is that anything in there is better than the hole that has been in there for tens (?) of years?

Thanks again,
Dave

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..................................... I can make one from mild steel hex stock... anyone wanna comment on the wisdom of one of the bolts being "not grade 8"? My reasoning is that anything in there is better than the hole that has been in there for tens (?) of years?
Better and easier than making that bolt make a sleeve, 21mm long, to fit onto a std. grade 8 bolt, eventually using loctite to hold it in place.

Done it, works well...

G.

Josh

When I bought my kit, It didnt come with the hardware to mount the extensions or the extra long bolts to remount to the bumper. In the end I think I payed about 120-150 bucks for all the bolts.

I used grade 8 across the board. I still am kicking myself for not getting his bumper left on for an extra 50 bucks now.

davey8943

Josh,

How about you kick me for not getting the bumper with the winch, and I'll kick you for not getting the bumper with the winch. That way we spread around the kicking!

aua

I guess these are all lessons for next time... If there IS a next time!

Dave