• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Yoke Stuck

rtadams89

M35A2 with winch. When I bought the truck, I found the winch shear pin had been replaced with an undersized bolt. I removed the bolt but couldn't get the holes to line up to put a correct shear pin in, so I left it without anything and figured once I had the winch actually attached to something, I could turn the shaft and get things lined up. Well, I used the winch to pull a tree over, and even without the shear pin in, the yoke and winch shaft are stuck together (at least enough to pull over a medium tree). So, now I'm concerned. I tried soaking the joint in penetrating oil and vibrating it with a light air hammer, still nothing. I then disconnected the drive shaft and tried to pry the yoke off without luck. What's my next step? Cut it off and replace? Any advise for how to cut it off without damaging the winch drive shaft?

Caseymikl

I would try a small torch and heat up the joint and spraying pb blaster into it when heated up. Then can tap around with a hammer
If you can to try to break it up and allow
It to
Come
Out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtadams89

Should have mentioned, I tried a blow torch too. Didn't try the pb blaster while hot though, so may give that a shot. I'm afraid that the issue is not rust or grime, but rather that the undersized bolt that was being used in place of the shear pin deformed the either the yoke or winch drive shaft near the sheer pin hole and that deformation is what is now linking the parts together (sort of like when you stake a screw into material).

Caseymikl

Should have mentioned, I tried a blow torch too. Didn't try the pb blaster while hot though, so may give that a shot. I'm afraid that the issue is not rust or grime, but rather that the undersized bolt that was being used in place of the shear pin deformed the either the yoke or winch drive shaft near the sheer pin hole and that deformation is what is now linking the parts together (sort of like when you stake a screw into material).
Yeah I get what your saying.. hmmm not to sure then. I don't have my winch totally useable. I have to pull it back off and rebuild it. It leaks and the forward reverse lever doesn't engage and disengage. Also I don't have a pto shaft for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pitpawten

Try winching against something unmovable applying the brakes while moving (a small shock load)

What happens sometimes it's that the broken shear pin ends rub against the yoke or shaft causing a bunch of friction (happens all the time on PTO on tractor)

Even if the yoke end is deformed as you mention I would think that it should be able to turn under winching load at least :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

rustystud

Try a large tree then :)

I agree. I had something similar happen to our dozers winch. So we attached the cable to a huge boulder and chained the front blade to a large tree with chains and straps and starting winching. At first it started to pull and lug the engine down. Then I gave it more fuel and released the clutch again and it came free. It did "score" the shaft with a groove, but it was still usable. The yoke was trash though, but it did come free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks