• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks great!
its great to have friends like that !!

if you get serious with winching, will it rip the brush guard off ?
looks like all the pull force will be on the guard and not the frame.

Just curious since I've never operated a winch like that.
Only operated the winch on my M925A2.

That looks great!
its great to have friends like that !!

if you get serious with winching, will it rip the brush guard off ?
looks like all the pull force will be on the guard and not the frame.

Just curious since I've never operated a winch like that.
Only operated the winch on my M925A2.
Well the thought is that the majority of the strength comes from the two points that are attached directly to the frame. I marked them in blue here in this pic. Then the rest of the force is spread throughout the brush guard frame. There is a minor question as to lateral strength but we feel pretty confident in what we did here. If I bury it up to the doors in clay and then pull at a severe angle, I might have a problem but I"m not concerned with that.

5.5.5.jpg

I did a pull with it on Saturday, I hooked it up to a tree at the same height as the bumper and my brother stood on the brakes while I controlled the winch. The pull actually pulled the truck downward so there was quite a bit of drag. The bumper and guard flexed about 2 inches during the height of the stress. Not bad!!

MarcusOReallyus

It looks a lot like this setup.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/body-chassis/1404-building-a-winch-bumper-backyard-mil/

This looks like it would be a good companion article for this project.

Well, there's probably a reason for that. You might even find that reason in the second sentence of the first post of this thread:

:mrgreen:

:beer:

fal_shooter

Well the thought is that the majority of the strength comes from the two points that are attached directly to the frame. I marked them in blue here in this pic. Then the rest of the force is spread throughout the brush guard frame. There is a minor question as to lateral strength but we feel pretty confident in what we did here. If I bury it up to the doors in clay and then pull at a severe angle, I might have a problem but I"m not concerned with that.

View attachment 612537
Did you weld the points or bolt them to the frame? Just asking because it seems like if they were welded and you need to do any repair to the truck that required removal of the brush guard you would have to cut it off. Would it be possible to get another detailed picture of the attach point on the frame? It may be a silly question but if I knew what I was doing I wouldn't need to ask.

nyoffroad

That looks GREAT! I was wondering if there's room for a ammo can on the left side? That would be a great place to keep a snatch block, tree strap and gloves.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks