• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch

89deuce

i have a warn 12000 winch can i hook it up to my deuce and will it work with the 24v m35 or would it be easier/better to find the pto winch

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 12,000# rating, is at its peak, under melt down conditions. Its rating is at its absolute maximun, while the PTO ratings, like with the Garwood, is a conservative rating, even at its 20,000#. The Warn winches are for vehicles half the size of the M35s. Mounting a Warn winch on a M35, will be like putting a pearl onion on a banana split!

Lee in Alska

Elwenil

Agreed a Warn winch is too light for a Deuce. If you look at what you have, the winch is rated at 12k lbs but the wire rope supplied with them normally is not. Also, it's pretty common knowledge that commercial off road winches are rated very liberally and typically will not stand up to repeated use at their limit. I think most people will agree that the Garwood winch on a M35 is rated pretty conservatively and will pull a Deuce in most situations. A commercial 16k lbs Warn winch would be hard pressed to pull a Deuce loaded to max GVWR more than once a year.

To be fair, we sell Warn winches and have a few of them on various off road vehicles in our group. Most have had some sort of mechanical issue within 2 years of ownership and operating well below their rated capacity. It may tell you something to know that even though we sell them and I have access to the largest and most powerful Warn, Ramsey and Milemarker winches, the winch I have on my Ramcharger is an almost 40 year old Braden 12V electric worm drive winch. Even at it's 8k lbs rating, it carries almost twice the wire rope at a larger diameter and rating than a comparable 8k lbs commercial winch by any manufacturer and while it's a little on the slow side without a load, its normally faster than a commercial panetary winch when they are both under load. So I would save the Warns for the Jeep crowd and the guys who think they need a winch on their truck for the look. Get a Garwood PTO winch for the duece, learn to operate it properly and never look back.

avengeusa

agreed a warn winch is too light for a deuce. If you look at what you have, the winch is rated at 12k lbs but the wire rope supplied with them normally is not. Also, it's pretty common knowledge that commercial off road winches are rated very liberally and typically will not stand up to repeated use at their limit. I think most people will agree that the garwood winch on a m35 is rated pretty conservatively and will pull a deuce in most situations. A commercial 16k lbs warn winch would be hard pressed to pull a deuce loaded to max gvwr more than once a year.

To be fair, we sell warn winches and have a few of them on various off road vehicles in our group. Most have had some sort of mechanical issue within 2 years of ownership and operating well below their rated capacity. It may tell you something to know that even though we sell them and i have access to the largest and most powerful warn, ramsey and milemarker winches, the winch i have on my ramcharger is an almost 40 year old braden 12v electric worm drive winch. Even at it's 8k lbs rating, it carries almost twice the wire rope at a larger diameter and rating than a comparable 8k lbs commercial winch by any manufacturer and while it's a little on the slow side without a load, its normally faster than a commercial panetary winch when they are both under load. So i would save the warns for the jeep crowd and the guys who think they need a winch on their truck for the look. Get a garwood pto winch for the duece, learn to operate it properly and never look back.
amen!

pevrs114

You could probably net close to $1K for the Warn 12K, which should put you in the neighborhood for the PTO winch kit for a deuce... minus shipping either way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks