• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winches; front, back and frame mounted.

Third From Texas

heck.... if there are any side mounts...... or removable mounts...... post those up too.
Removables are really just receiver hitch solutions. I'm tinkering with the concept of being able to flip the winch and pintle hitch fore/aft. The A1R has a pretty beefy rear receiver already. But damn that pintle is HEAVY to lug around. LOL

Still, I'd like to fab up a forward receiver using the same size insert. But as I said, I'd like to do so with a custom bumper in the front (the A1R bumper may as well be paper). I want something that you can plow thru a steel reinforced wall with and make tiny chunks, not something that folds around the cab when you hit a shopping cart...

20190917_114500.jpg

GENX

Another way to do a removable is a simple "bolt to tow hook hole" solution. Again, one solution would fit fore/aft.

I'm kinda favoring that for simplicity at the moment...
Me too. That is what I envisioned before looking at these pics. Wanted to make it so I can get a snow plow on it, thought about swapping it out on the front with a winch when out of the off season. We are retiring in the mountains and if we stay up there during a winter we will need that capability.

coachgeo

I keep coming back to putting mine where the hydraulic would go or in behind the battery box, rigged for a front or rear pull. Much shorter power runs that way…
Once envisioned a mid winch mount on a lazy suzan. Access thru a hatch above it. un pin it..... spin it to face fore, aft, or side. re pin it. attach the rope* to the cable eye you will use to pull it thru its guides/pulleys. YeahI know...... end resulting desing would be little more complicated..... like maybe two sold square tubes that once winch facing intended direction... the slide thru the base to give strength.... this is what is pinned in.

*rope is ONLY to make it easier to pull the cable thru its guide pulleys. It is NOT for winching. When not in use.....it remains tied at its front/rear pots for quick ready to go access. It remains pre routed thru pulleys and guides when not in use and should be winched back into home place before tying it out of the way.

coachgeo

I keep coming back to putting mine where the hydraulic would go or in behind the battery box, rigged for a front or rear pull. Much shorter power runs that way…
thought of that but damnnn.. how would you weld/make a mount that dog legs off the chassis and have structure to winch..... unless your thinking face winch to the side.... and in front of it is two big ass redirect pulleys to turn cable route 90degree...... one for using in a north pull.... and other a south pull.

Guruman

Not so new member
Once envisioned a mid winch mount on a lazy suzan. Access thru a hatch above it. un pin it..... spin it to face fore, aft, or side. re pin it. attach the rope* to the cable eye you will use to pull it thru its guides/pulleys. YeahI know...... end resulting desing would be little more complicated..... like maybe two sold square tubes that once winch facing intended direction... the slide thru the base to give strength.... this is what is pinned in.

*rope is ONLY to make it easier to pull the cable thru its guide pulleys. It is NOT for winching. When not in use.....it remains tied at its front/rear pots for quick ready to go access. It remains pre routed thru pulleys and guides when not in use and should be winched back into home place before tying it out of the way.
I'm in the middle of installing the factory winch setup. I've been kicking around the idea of replacing one of the roller guide sets either at the front or the rear with a large pulley so that the line could returned around and ran completely through to the other end. Such that the cable never needs to be re-routed. When winching off the end without the pulley you drag the single line like normal, but when winching from the end with they pulley you grab the loop, and use a snatch block (or make the pulley removable for use as the snatch block). Single line pull one way, double the other, and you'd never need to get down in the mud to re-run the cable.

coachgeo

I'm in the middle of installing the factory winch setup. I've been kicking around the idea of replacing one of the roller guide sets either at the front or the rear with a large pulley so that the line could returned around and ran completely through to the other end. Such that the cable never needs to be re-routed. When winching off the end without the pulley you drag the single line like normal, but when winching from the end with they pulley you grab the loop, and use a snatch block (or make the pulley removable for use as the snatch block). Single line pull one way, double the other, and you'd never need to get down in the mud to re-run the cable.
This would basically a Foers winch set up

Ronmar

Yea a Foers vector winch setup was what I was considering, with the electric winch mounted where the hydraulic winch would go. there are already cable passages fore/aft on that side of the chassis, and I don’t see a big problem with fabricating a mount that could withstand 20K of pull. The oem hydraulics seem to do it with no issue with 13-15K mounted alongside the frame… the foers rig would be easier as most electrics would probably be a little more difficult to re-rout around the drum supports to shift the pull direction than the hydraulic was, having removable guide roller pins. The Foers rig would be Semper Paratus…

Last edited:

GENX

RONMAR

That's a pretty smart set up for sure and I considered it, but I think I want a large Cabinet toolbox around the frame as I'd probably use that more often. I'll go ahead and spring for a front removable winch. And possibly add a rear winch. I like the fact of how they run through the bumper for sure, because on the rear if you sink the truck just right you will be digging for a while to get access to the winch.

GENX

My collection of examples for when the day comes. I'll likely make a completely custom bumper of mod an A0 bumper (because the A1R bumper is crap due to all the metal BAE removed and you can bend it with your mind):

View attachment 873294

View attachment 873295

View attachment 873296

View attachment 873297

View attachment 873298

View attachment 873299

View attachment 873300

View attachment 873301

View attachment 873302

View attachment 873303
They put all the metal in the rear Pintle hitch. That's why that thing sticks out so loud and proud now.

Ronmar

RONMAR

That's a pretty smart set up for sure and I considered it, but I think I want a large Cabinet toolbox around the frame as I'd probably use that more often. I'll go ahead and spring for a front removable winch. And possibly add a rear winch. I like the fact of how they run through the bumper for sure, because on the rear if you sink the truck just right you will be digging for a while to get access to the winch.
Yea, it is just I have had to schlep receiver mounted winches thru all kinds of crap to get them where I need to pull from, and yes, even dig out the receiver to even get the winch into the receptical. I was seeking to avoid that, with a winch and mount plate capable of moving 20K worth of vehicle:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks