• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winching under & to the rear

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JBlack6527:
Thanks for finding the "lost video". It sure wouldn't win any Academay Awards, but I enjoyed seeing the Deuce Back-Winch herself.
Dang, I'm jealous of those of you with real trees and terrain in your back yards <LOL>

Although, I do love west TEXAS!
:grd::driver:

Attachments

Last edited:

Towerguy1

I Spent time in Lubbock, TX. There were a few larger trees there but they pull right out of the sand too.

I had saved a copy of mangus's video.......Provided lots of entertainment through the years. Been waiting for the release of a sequal.....

blackwater1

two long straps work best but other items= heavy rope - cable ect will do -- around a handy tree to each rear wheel works well or if you live in a tree less area a boat anchor that goes deeper into the ground the harder you pull works well too.:wink:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
two long straps work best but other items= heavy rope - cable ect will do -- around a handy tree to each rear wheel works well or if you live in a tree less area a boat anchor that goes deeper into the ground the harder you pull works well too.:wink:
I know it was foolish to drool over ship's anchors on GL... Now I know it was my inner self screaming for one - Deuce Recovery Anchor - we don't have no steenkin' boats!!!!

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire pressure

I don't see any ideas about lowering the tire air pressure BEFORE she hits bottom. Us Florida boys have used that trick forever and it usually works in sand or mud.

Tance

I thought it was interesting to see some real world suggestions from guys in Alaska (who probably use their winches as a way of life). And the snatch blocks are a great idea (if you have three of them). But here's reality in my world. Stuck and not a tree in sight?... dig a hole ten yards ahead of you, drop a spare tire into it and pull away. It works. Want to pull yourself out backwards?... very bad idea from an engineering point of view, huge stress on that cable going down over the bumper and then backward... but OK, you're stuck and have to do it... I did it once, cut a couple of saplings to act as cable rollers crossways under my frame, used the winch just enough to get me unstuck and gain traction (I wasn't buried). I still have dreams about the 8000 lb winch flipping my truck over on its roof as I try to pull it out backwards (ha).

tm america

ive done it a couple times with only slight sratches on the bumper and then another time i did it it crunched the bumper all the way back to the winch.i dont think the axles hurt the cable but you really should have some kind of roller set up onthe front of the bumper so the cable doesnt kink or bend the bumper.but if you have the trees in the right spot and have enough snatch blocks doing it according to the tm is best.if you have duels on your truck keep you a long cable and a couple short bars and you can use the rear duels as a winch without tearing up anything

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a 4' piece of 4x4 to pull out my trucks on the beach many a time (k-10s and k-30s). Dig a ditch 1' deep and perpendicular to the way you want to winch and place the 4x4 in it and bury it. Nice clean slightly back cut edges on the side you are going to winch from helps. I always used old chain or rope and dunnage I found on the beach so it did not cost that much, and you could leave it if you had to. Works great. Should work in West Texas, you'd just need a pickaxe to dig through the caleeche..

And yes we did pull backward, banged the bumper up, but when the tide is coming in...

I recon that you could use a 4' long 6x6 and go 2' deep for a deuce. Havent tried it with my deuce yet so ya might want to go bigger or deeper.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a 4' piece of 4x4 to pull out my trucks on the beach many a time (k-10s and k-30s). Dig a ditch 1' deep and perpendicular to the way you want to winch and place the 4x4 in it and bury it. Nice clean slightly back cut edges on the side you are going to winch from helps. I always used old chain or rope and dunnage I found on the beach so it did not cost that much, and you could leave it if you had to. Works great. Should work in West Texas, you'd just need a pickaxe to dig through the caleeche..

And yes we did pull backward, banged the bumper up, but when the tide is coming in...

I recon that you could use a 4' long 6x6 and go 2' deep for a deuce. Havent tried it with my deuce yet so ya might want to go bigger or deeper.
Thanks for the west Texas specific guidance. Hoping not to need to drag out of any situations, but will probably come in handy eventually.

DW10

I'm new here, hello to all and this is a great site!
Currently I'm truck less (M35A2), however, for my K5 I have a warn mounted on the front, with another receiver mount warn winch for the rear. This system has gotten me out of many situations. Thanks to my brother in law, I'm learning that block and tackle, (and plenty of line), are my friends.
Would not a portable winch be just the ticket for a deuce?
For those backward moments.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter

jollyroger

IMO front and rear winch is the best thing to do for the need for a rearward extraction. I wheel a lot with my 4X4 club and just to go on "recon". I have been careful with the deuce and have not gotten it stuck....so far. It is inevitable. No one in the club can pull the deuce out. It will take another deuce, piece of equipment or winches on the deuce to get it done.

We have had broken steering gear boxes on the 4X4's way off in the woods and needed to improvise. Thankfully there are a couple rigs in the club that have front and rear winches. My Waggy and my friends CJ8. The steer gearbox broke on the 8 and we put a shackle on the steering arms, a shackle on the frame by the gearbox with the rear winch to one steer arm and the front winch to the other. Take rear winch in and front winch out to steer one way and reverse for the other way. It worked but time consuming. Fixed the gearbox, put on hydro assist and went out a few weeks later. Gearbox broke again and we set up the winch steer again. We stressed the cables so much with the tight bends over the bumpers. We finnaly broke both cables. That was a long day.

Rear winching with the front winch is doable but not easy and possibly dangerous. I would do so as an absolute last resort.

tashaak

I just bought a m925a1 and was wondering if you can winch and drive at the same time. Itried it but when you switch out or into gear you get one or the other. I checked in the archives for this and could not find anything on it. Thanks

walkerhunter

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YnRRGW6z3UQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fordson tractor stuck in mud Youtube

Last edited: