• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Window sticker

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't believe that is an accurate price even given that the government paid for it. Average "new retail" for an '86 Blazer was $12,000. As these were stripped down, i.e. no carpet, radio, a/c, etc, with the gov't markup the 12k is likely a more reasonable price.

Blazerlover

This was a radio truck if that makes any difference...just wondering..I figure being wired up for that might of made it more expensive?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was a radio truck if that makes any difference...just wondering..I figure being wired up for that might of made it more expensive?
Nope , the government just overpays . They rolled right down the same line as civy models at Flint Truck and Bus .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sort of remember $19K for the M1009 when they were new. And the trucks were about $17K -$22.K. I worked at a GM dealer back then.
Base price in 1984 for a K5 blazer was less than $11,000

Year: 1984Production Total: 39,329
Base Price: 10,819Weight: 4,409

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe there is an acquisition price and a accumulative price.

cucvrus

I seen stickers on the windows of the ones that came to the dealership. They were more then new civilian loaded Silverado Blazers at the same time. I don't remember exactly how much but that number $17K stuck in my mind. I went to classes at the GM training center for these trucks back in the day. They had rear main seal problems from new and we did a lot of electrical work on the first ones that were delivered. I remember the Army would use a huge wrecker to bring an M1009 to the dealership. It was about 10 times the size of the M1009 and could have sling loaded the M1009 and carried it with no problem. I seen a wrecked M1009 that was sling loaded one time and they dropped it off at the body shop. Someone stole the wheels and tires while it sat there for over a year till it got fixed. It was minor damage but the front end parts were crazy expensive and never in stock. That was before they had a can point to salvage parts for these. We had M1010s and they were $50K new. They were permanently parked there for electrical issues. I am relying on 30 years of memory.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember that contract prices often include development costs, parts support, training, etc. The included number of vehicles are often only part of the total, but most folks divide the cost of that particular contract by the number of vehicles and come up with a grossly inaccurate "per unit" price.

Contracts also hide costs of other secret projects. The military has to openly account for all the money it spends, but not necessarily quite truthfully when it comes to "black" programs. The entire stealth fighter program was hidden in other Lockheed contracts, thus the infamous $500 screwdrivers and $1800 toilet seats.
To this day, folks believe that the military was actually paying that much for those items. No! They were hiding a secret program, but they had to truthfully say how much they gave Lockheed. I guess they thought no one would notice. :)

The other side can tell a great deal about a program just by how much we spend on it. If they don't know you're spending money on it, they can't confirm it exists. The B-2 program is another example - those aircraft don't cost that much (though the technology development was horribly expensive), but since the other major powers don't really know, they are unsure of exactly what is there.

Cheers

cucvrus

I don't remember that being the case. The M1008 is the most expensive truck and the M1028A1 was less money? They may have left the plant as cab chassis or less a transfer case. But something seems different about the prices. The M1028 that have the limited slip differentials up front are less then the standard M1008. The M1010 was a bargain compared to the M1009. When i order trucks everything that you put on is an up cost. The heavier suspension the rear shelter hold down. WOW what a bargain. Merry Christmas. The 1984 M1009 cost more then a 2014 full size 4 x4 pickup with standard equipment??????