• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Frame

Spagman

Hello,

Does anyone know what the structural differences are between the soft top and hard top versions of the front windshield frame besides the corner brackets that accept the roof mounts?
I know the defroster vents are different between the two and the hard top frame has threaded holes for mounting the turret ring, but is there any strength difference between the basic frames?

I am doing a soft top to hard top conversion and looking into the option of modifying a soft top frame rather than purchasing a hard top frame. The roof mounting brackets are available in either bolt on or weld on versions, but I want to make sure the basic structure of the soft top frame is equal in strength to the hard top equivalent.

Appreciate your help answering my questions.

Thanks.

cruzinz28

I have a set of the bolt on windshield brackets if you want to go that route. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I converted my truck from a soft top to hardtop and back to sell it. The frames in my opinion are structuraly the same. Considering the hardtop rests across the entire top of the windshield; I don't see why putting riv-nuts in the windshield and bolting on the brackets would be less stable then a molded frame.

Spagman

Thanks for the feedback guys. Kascar has a set of weld on brackets for the roof mounts, so I was thinking of taking that route. I believe the alloy used in the humvee is 6000 series, but I need to confirm that before I can weld.
I see NOS soft top windshield frames listed for very reasonable prices compared to what folks are asking for an M10xx series hard top windshield frame. The primary thing I am trying to determine is if the aluminum used to make the soft top frame is just as thick as what they use on the hardtop version.

Thanks again for your input.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bolt on ears are much easier.
I have aluminum ones available next week.

Daves86

I used the weld one ones from Kaskar they work fine but it was a pain to get them aligned.
And yes the windshield frame is 6000 aluminum I tested it.
Do you have a picture of the finished Frame? Looking at doing this upgrade and trying to do my homework.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With mine...you lay roof on and add front brackets { outer ones } with all hardware to get location...mark 3 hole from each bracket....take off hardware, and drill holes on inner layer only and add rivnuts.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks