• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

windshield glass replacement

dabtl

One of mine is just rusted a bit, can I just scrap the rust off, dry it, seal it with rust / paint and use some cheap water-proofing? Ok yes I could but is it a good idea?

Why not? You have rust elsewhere. At least that is my experience.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought replacement windshields but cannot get the screws that attach the support arms to the windshield to turn.

Has anyone successfully dealt with this before? The screw heads want to strip and just won't budge.

Attachments

dabtl

I had to cut off the heads and use penetrating oil with vice grips. I have many screws with a cross pattern groove but otherwise the same as the original if you need some.

saddamsnightmare

December 29th, 2009.

Since I had to replace one windshield glass due to a crack in in when I bought the truck in 2007, I hauled it to the local auto glass shop and let them have at it. If the gaskets around the glass are ok, just reassemble. If the screws under the acron nuts are bad, cut off and either drill out and collapse (to save the threads) or drill out completely and replace with stainless steel bolts and acorn nuts (that way the next guy won't have to fight it. The support arm screws can be a bear, but worse come to worse, soak in pentrating oil and file a flat on opposite sides of the screw head and use a wrench if it doesn't want to come easy. Then replace with stainless steel unless you're doing a show truck.

If the rust's too far advanced, then its time to go a cannibalizing.....

Have a Safe and Happy New Years 2010...
Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would spray some Tri-Flo lubricant (Teflon based) on the thread area and then get as big a screwdriver blade as possible that fits the slot. While trying to loosen the screw, tap the end of the screwdriver handle with a hammer to get a little bit of impact action. Continue to spray the threads as necessary during removal.

I had the same problem when replacing my drivers side windshield earlier this summer.

I used a small Dewalt impact gun that works wonders on stubborn screws like this.

Good luck.

southdave

I would spray some Tri-Flo lubricant (Teflon based) on the thread area and then get as big a screwdriver blade as possible that fits the slot. While trying to loosen the screw, tap the end of the screwdriver handle with a hammer to get a little bit of impact action. Continue to spray the threads as necessary during removal.

I had the same problem when replacing my drivers side windshield earlier this summer.

I used a small Dewalt impact gun that works wonders on stubborn screws like this.

Good luck.
Dude your avidtar makes me want puke. LOL have ever based jumped off one?

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Southdave; No I have never jumped off a tower.

The picture is looking down from a 30 foot long FM broadcast antenna pylon (9 inch pole) mounted at the top of a 300 foot self supporting tower. I could not find the pictures from 556 ft up on a similar pylon.

Not a fun tower to work on by any means.
I am glad you enjoyed the picture.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the great ideas fellas. I am sure with a combination of them I will get the screws out.

I tried an impact screwdriver and all it did was trash the slot, even with a tight fitting bit.

I just don't get why they are so stuck in there. The window frames are newer, and the ends of the screws aren't peened over and look like they should come out, but they are really jammed in there, all of them.

Now that I have source of replacement screws [thanks dabtl!] I am going to have at them. They are an unusual screw, with a wide and shallow head. Finding a replacement would have been very difficult without some help.

waayfast

Just a thought here---has anyone used their MIG welder to spot weld something onto that screw head( plus the heat may help break things loose). Better cover up any thing you don't want pitted from the "fire" though:-D.
jim