• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Glass Size M813.

troyken

Just an FYI post.... I replaced the drivers side windshield on our Fire Co. M813 5 ton yesterday. I ordered glass from an on line source for $84.00 shipped to my house. The size is -

26-7/8" x 16-5/8" a 1/4 " thk. Clear laminated glass with dot engravings.

Delivery was about 8 days or so. The windshield frame was removed from the truck. There are two through bolts at the upper corners of the frame and 4 sheet metal screws that go into the upper corners of the frame from the inside. Removing these allow the top of the windshield frame to be removed. I removed the wiper arm and motor too but that is optional I think.I ran a sheetrock knife around the glass and the glass slid right out. I removed the deteriorated hard plastic channels from the frame and reset the new glass in black silicone. That is not the pro way I'm sure but that truck is on borrowed time so it's good enough. Reassembled the frame and reinstalled on truck and good to go. Easy job but two people make it a lot easier. Be sure to lubricate the hinges well while its out. I used penetrating oil followed by 5w30 motor oil.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just an FYI post.... I replaced the drivers side windshield on our Fire Co. M813 5 ton yesterday. I ordered glass from an on line source for $84.00 shipped to my house. The size is -

26-7/8" x 16-5/8" a 1/4 " thk. Clear laminated glass with dot engravings.

Delivery was about 8 days or so. The windshield frame was removed from the truck. There are two through bolts at the upper corners of the frame and 4 sheet metal screws that go into the upper corners of the frame from the inside. Removing these allow the top of the windshield frame to be removed. I removed the wiper arm and motor too but that is optional I think.I ran a sheetrock knife around the glass and the glass slid right out. I removed the deteriorated hard plastic channels from the frame and reset the new glass in black silicone. That is not the pro way I'm sure but that truck is on borrowed time so it's good enough. Reassembled the frame and reinstalled on truck and good to go. Easy job but two people make it a lot easier. Be sure to lubricate the hinges well while its out. I used penetrating oil followed by 5w30 motor oil.
Nice write-up.
Impressed that you could find just the raw glass with DOT engravings!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Or get your local glass shop cut you one for about half that.
NDT - Is the DOT etching of any significance compared to "just plain safety glass" ?

Because if not, Binswanger here in town - just up the road from me sure would be neat.
The current smoky look might take ten years off the look of my truck...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The size is - 26-7/8" x 16-5/8" a 1/4 " thk. Clear laminated glass.....
.... Correct, and here is a drawing I made of the inner WS-frame and its glass dimensions (ha..... posted almost a decade ago... ;-))

FWIW, M44- and M809-series trucks share the exact same windshield parts, inner and outer.

troyken

Or get your local glass shop cut you one for about half that.
That wasn't worth the time or effort . After several calls to "disinterested" shops, this was the easiest way. Not much choice in the way of custom work here anymore. I opted for the DOT mark in case of future issues.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That wasn't worth the time or effort . After several calls to "disinterested" shops, this was the easiest way. Not much choice in the way of custom work here anymore. I opted for the DOT mark in case of future issues.
Sad. That seems to happen more and more frequently.

I would think that cutting a piece (or two) of glass to the right size would be easy money for a glass shop. Of course they would have to hire competent employees. It would require they could read the written word (instructions). And that they could read a ruler. Assuming they could find somebody willing to work and learn. Then they would have to CARE about the job they do.

Yeah, okay. No. Just let the chinamen do it for us and wonder why there aren't any American Jobs. Dang-It-All !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks