• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

windshield hinge bolts

chipola

bro's ,the windshield hinge bolts, #16 in tm's ,are they threaded or pressed in. no real head on them to grab ahold of. looks like threaded.dud thanks

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming you mean the deuce WS hinges...??

Bolt #43 (3/4”x16) is knurled next to its head and pressed into lower bracket #44. Only the end of the bolt (about 1”) is treaded, protruding 5/8” for locknut #45 which is used to adjust play btw. part#40 and #44.

G.

Attachments

chipola

thank you, gringeltaube in tm9-2320-20 the #'s are different but pic is the same . when i blew it up the threads looked diagonal but in this one they definitly look like they are running parallel to shank of bolt thanks a again, dud

pa.rich

Is the problem that the windshield wont move? Mine were so frozen I had to winch it down. Even penetrating oil woundnt loosen it. I wanted to get the truck in a 8ft. high garage door and then had to winch it back up in the spring to put the roof back on. They are tough to work on. The nut is welded to the turning wing and the bolt stays stationary as the wing nut is turned. The main bolt I think is stationary but corrosion freezez it in place and most old trucks have that problem . It may be easier to get a good used set from a parts dealer , They unbolt off the cowl and windshield. I always learn the hard way. :? I tighten the wingnuts by tapping with a hammer.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only for cosmetic reasons I preferred not to install a grease nipple but just drilled a small hole instead, using a 2mm bit and a small 60º combination center drill and countersink to slightly chamfer the entrance to better fit the conical connector on the grease gun.
I recommend using synthetic grease only, common grease won’t stay there for long because of oil migration.

2cents

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks