• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield install

chrisross

I am putting in some glass on my GP hmmwv that came with none. i got the laminated tinted stuff. I have the L shaped bracket and the I bracket to hold it in, as well as the rubber seal. I read some instructions that use bead sealer both inside the rubber seal and outside. Is that the preferred method? Or is there something less...messy ?? I was thinking if I use bead sealer, of trying it just on the outside. Also what kind of bolts should I be using to fasten the brackets to the rest of the truck?

Crapgame

I believe the attachment screws are a #10-32x5/8" self-tapping Screw, Tapping NSN 5305-01-3615-353 Part 9414241, my local Ace only had 3/4" so that is what I used and the tops don't interfere with the wiper system.

You apply liquid dish detergent around the gasket them gently push it into the windshield frame, the two inner corners are the hardest points, the outside curve being easiest. Don't try to jam it all in with one shot, just get it started in the frame until the gasket gives, then move a few inches to the left and then the right. After it has started to give all the way around, it will go in rather quickly. Don't rush it, don't get impatient, don't be stingy with the liquid soap.

I don't know if putting sealant between the U gasket and the glass is of any help, but once the gasket/glass is fully seated, maybe a bead between the windshield frame and the U gasket before you screw down the retainers?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not everyone requires sealant. The main reason for the sealant is that not every piece of glass with gasket forms a leakproof seal when installed. I know mine had a lot of water coming in from the center pillar (lots of big bubbles when driving at any speed, and water sloshing back and forth)
If you don't drive your truck in the rain, or only very minimally, then it's not as necessary.

papakb

That water that creeps into the rubber gasket is also the cause of the fogging you see along the bottom edge of the glass on some windshields. A little sealant inside the rubber molding would have prevented it.

BTW 10-32 screws are machine screws, not self tapping screws. Self tapping screws don't have a thread pitch as part of their designation.

DREDnot

Its not required to use any sealant but even the military runs a 1/4" bead in the corner just to add some insurance. If you are in a rainy area or it sits outside, I would highly recommend a little sealant in the glass groove as well.

The screws for the retainers are originally a 10-32 screw that is a type of self tapper for aluminum that forms the threads instead of cutting them. Same style as the ones for the insulation retainer bars.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks