• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Modifications?????

devilman96

Well... here I go again with my silly little questions...

Yesterday while a Ken's whining and pissing about windshield seals and the likes I was bouncing my ideas off of him for sealing up and getting rid of the glass frames and so on so that my windshields were fixed into place... He suggested that I look around because someone, some where, ahs installed a kit from Memphis??? (maybe?) that gets rid of the fold out frames and uses a standard chord type window seal?

Any takers on answering? Searched through the threads for the usual modification suspects but I am coming up empty on this one...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course an enclosed cab gets a lot hotter than an open one and will need air conditioning. Just blocking the sun and leaving the cab open (windshield open and and back rolled up) makes it very tolerable even w/o A/C.

There is the hot firewall, though, it measured 120 to 130°F during my last trip to GA and FL a couple of weeks ago. The warm air streaming up against the driver's face in the open cab needs to be dealt with...

devilman96

Im gonna call Memphis and the likes Monday.... and I KNOW that set up is gonna be 500$ +... and I am SOOOOOOOooooo gonna blame you for it me having to have it!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, all they do is take a stock windshield frame and sheet it. I would think they roll back the lip on the opening and the rubber looks like standard stuff. I need to scroll though some MV Magazines to see if I can find the article on the M37 windshield. Put my name on the list for the old windshields if you scrap them.

rdixiemiller

I helped DR pull a Memphis windshield from a truck at Howards. It is a standard deuce windshield frame, with the lip for the soft top cut off. Then, a sheet of 12 gauge is welded across the whole mess. 2 cutouts are made for the glass, with about a 2" radius at the corners. The one we pulled off used the same rubber seal you see on a boat or camper shell. Definately something you could do yourself with normal fabrication skills and equipment.
Get DR to take some pics, scrounge an old windshield frame, and have at it.

devilman96

Cool... I can for-go the pics... Sometimes just an explanation of an idea is all ya need to get pointed in a direction!!! I would have never of thought it to be so simple but then again... Most things like that often are! Ones little brain just tends to over complicate something and make it into rocket science... I foresee another "how to" coming up soon!

Damn... This site and its members are worth a million bucks on any given day!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, if you really wanted to get creative, you could eliminate the center upright and do a one piece full width windshield.

Desert Rat

Now I really feel complimented! WOW guys! DM, I sent you some PMs. You're on the list now. Just getting it to you will be the trick. I know Howard has BUNCHES of these windshields just begging to be picked up! I'll be headed there this week. We just need to figure out how to get it from Houston to Boca Raton. Any ideas?

JCease

There is a place called "Extreme Off Road Equipment" They are in NC. I have no idea what they are like to deal with, and I am in no way making any type of endorsement.... They offer a windshield that is one piece. I remembered seeing it, and I thought about this thread.

http://ourfarm.org/webs/Extreme_db/default.asp

Click on "specialty products", and you will seee what I am referring to.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
FYI, I believe Extreme Off Road equipment is out of business

devilman96

DR
Short of shipping from your place or his I am out of ideas... I have a few contacts here and there but noting along the path I would assume your driving... I PM'ed you in regards to shipping, ether place is about 140-150$ to here which I would not mind doing with the price. One less thing to fabricate is one less thing I have to sweat to death over this time of year!

I hope Extreme is not out of business... I would be very interested in the 24V windshield wiper motors they are advertising!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks