• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

windshield re&re time

Hasdrubal

So went to a glass shop and inquired about a windshield. Mines lasted 14 years, finally got a chip that started cracking. Guy says $380..I'm like..what? It's that much more than the States. Then I'm like how long do do it. Guy says 3-4 hrs. At this point I laughed and said you have got to be kidding. There's 2 young guys and a girl at the counter, looking at me. Its just the rubber type with a lockstrip insert. Yes, he knows, I'm like you know its just a 1hr job at most, less if you're experienced and have an insert tool. The girl says we want to do a good job, its harder to do than a urethane windshield. I ask, have you ever done one..No... blank stares all around. Well I've had this windshield out twice to do rust work and 4 hrs is outrageous. I mean think about it, really...start at 8 am and finish by lunch hour. It beyond incredulous. How much for just the windshield without labor..$140. I would like to know, anyone know what the Mitchell manual re&re is on one? Basically what an insurance company would pay a shop to do it.

cucvrus

018.jpg019.jpg020.jpgI will side with the glass company on this one. I would proceed with caution and try to fore warn ANY customer that brings me a 30 year old vehicle that it is not as easy as pull the rubber and install a new windshield. I seen the puss and rust in the pinch weld of many CUCV's and other older vehicles. Least they remove the windshield and hastily replace the glass which can be done on this type of glass. Dollars to a donut the customer is back in a week telling me the windshield leaks. In really it is the pinch weld leaking. I see it every day. People take vehicles to shops or do the repaints them selves. All new doors, fenders, bed sides and all. The repaint the entire vehicle lather in the body filler weld and patch and never even look at the wind shield pinch weld. I have had CUCV's setting in my barn for 6 months and when I pull the windshield and rear side glass on M1009's water comes out. That water is hanging in there in the windshield area feeding on that Detroit sheet metal as it has for the past 30 years. For that simple reason I would be very cautious pricing out a windshield replacement. Most times on old iron it goes far deeper then that. Good Luck. If you just want to replace the glass about $150. covers that. But no warranty that says it won't leak. Most leaked from new. Very crude by todays standards.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few years back, I bought a windshield(cucv) from the local wharehouse(wholesale).

I got a tinted with antenna.

IIRC, it cost $63.

Installed myself in less than 30 min.

cucvrus

DSCF4764.jpgThis windshield was FREE. Just installed it in an M1028 yesterday. I don't care if it leaks or not. The truck sets in the garage all the time. I doubt it will leak. But I never removed the gasket and that is were the can of worms lives.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So went to a glass shop and inquired about a windshield. Mines lasted 14 years, finally got a chip that started cracking. Guy says $380..I'm like..what? It's that much more than the States. Then I'm like how long do do it. Guy says 3-4 hrs. At this point I laughed and said you have got to be kidding. There's 2 young guys and a girl at the counter, looking at me. Its just the rubber type with a lockstrip insert. Yes, he knows, I'm like you know its just a 1hr job at most, less if you're experienced and have an insert tool. The girl says we want to do a good job, its harder to do than a urethane windshield. I ask, have you ever done one..No... blank stares all around. Well I've had this windshield out twice to do rust work and 4 hrs is outrageous. I mean think about it, really...start at 8 am and finish by lunch hour. It beyond incredulous. How much for just the windshield without labor..$140. I would like to know, anyone know what the Mitchell manual re&re is on one? Basically what an insurance company would pay a shop to do it.
They probably have never did one and jacked the price to cover themselves from breaking a couple before they get it right. Or they just don't want to deal with it and gave you a high enough price to go somewhere else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks