• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

windshield removal

B-Dog

A lot of naysayers for a DIY focused forum....

I popped one out almost entirely by myself with a helper for the last little bit (2 hours). It took 2 people outside and 1 person inside to rope it back in (1 hour because it took 2 tries). No suction cups required, reused the old gasket. I think you'd have to be pretty careless to break the glass.

That being said, I think it would be foolish to go to all that work in order to install the AC. Instead, the cab comes off pretty easily: 10 hoses, 8 bolts, 4 wire harness plugs, 2 power cables, 2 heater core hoses and a gas pedal cable. Then you can do all of your work at ground level; no ups and downs! :D

Ronmar

I also use a tool of my own design I call a “wubbler” made from an old screwdriver. The string around the groove will mostly(with appropriate pressure applied from the outside) get the lip of the seal up and over the opening edge, but occasionally it does not work or the string slips past the point where the rubber is coming over the metal edge and or it needs some help to not tear the rubber with the string, or catch up to the string. Here is where the Wubbler comes into play to allow you to apply some additional force. It slides along in the groove/under the rubber that has already made it over the opening edge, along the top/inner edge of the opening, and allows you to apply some force using the metal edge as a fulcrum while twisting/prying with the handle, so the tip lifts the groove up and over the lip As you work the tool along. If the string pulls past where the lip is over the edge, you can use this to catch the lip back up to the string…

cut the tip off of the screwdriver, I think this one was about a 3/16” shank. Bend over about 3/8” of the end and grind/polish untill it is perfectly smooth so it doesn’t dig in and rear the rubber. I made this probably 30 years ago, specifically for this task… Here is a pic.

The windshield procedure in the manual actually describes the process quite well, minus the Wubbler technique of course:)

My glass from Omni was close to 1/3 the cost anyone else who was selling NOS glass was asking… I believe Oshkosh was the OEM supplier to S&S. It cost me more to ship it to tacoma than I paid for the glass…

D895A7F4-BB25-4B83-B380-54E805ABFD09.jpeg

24727F97-2701-4750-9BB0-FB685195D0B4.jpeg