• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield retainer question

signsup

Picked up a Gov Planet M1151 to put the slant back and windshield on my M998. 1151 windshield has no glass, rubber seal or retainers in it. I need the whole kit, but am getting conflicting information on what retainers I need for the standard thin glass, not balistic. Will the "standard" three piece retainers fit this windshield and use the existing wellnuts? Or do I need the "armored" retainers? I can take a pic and post if needed, but hoping it's a across the board for the 1151 type answer.
I'll hang up and listen.

signsup

Will these retainers dictate my new glass thickness? It is my understanding the "standard" retainers will work on a glass and seal thickness in the 1/4" range but the armored retainers are for glass that is 5/8" thick glass. I have not seen different seal thicknesses in my limited search, so maybe I have my glass thickness numbers wrong. But will the armored retainers fit 5/8" thick glass and seals? I am seeing the two piece retainers for the armored Humvee very reasonable, but not the center retainer. SECO can obtain the three piece kit for $295 which seems a little pricey. They say I can use the glass that is in their windshield replacement kit, but not the retainers. They have to order the retainers, so taking my windshield to them for correct fitment prior to purchasing is not an option.

Reactions: OBX

Autonomy_Lost

My m1151 has standard windshields (not 5/8") and uses the newer style ECV/REV retainers.

Not sure about installing 5/8 glass, maybe someone else can chime in.

Reactions: OBX

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that the 5/8" glass uses a thinner rubber gasket around the outside, so it fits the same as the standard glass does.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a Gov Planet M1151 to put the slant back and windshield on my M998. 1151 windshield has no glass, rubber seal or retainers in it. I need the whole kit, but am getting conflicting information on what retainers I need for the standard thin glass, not balistic. Will the "standard" three piece retainers fit this windshield and use the existing wellnuts? Or do I need the "armored" retainers? I can take a pic and post if needed, but hoping it's a across the board for the 1151 type answer.
I'll hang up and listen.
The ECV retainers have a different bolt pattern and use a 1/4-20x1.00 bolt. The glass thickness is just standard 3/8 as any HMMWV.

signsup

Just following up with game plan. It appears that the correct windshield for the M1151 is the ECV set which has a different bolt hole location for attachment. And, it uses 1/4" bolts due to the weight of them. It would take 5/8" glass and windshield seals although thinner glass may or may not be made to work. If vehicle correctness is a priority, the parts are available but three times the amount of M998 glass, seals and retainers.
So, I am going with 3/8" glass, seals and the M998 "standard" retainers. The small screw holes will not line up with the 1/4" bolt holes in the windshield, but will cover most of them and by drilling and tapping holes into the windshield using the three retainers as a template, all will attach nicely.
As this Humvee will be a Humvee salad with the slant back, hood, air lift bumper, and, of course the windshield from the M1151 on a M998 chassis and tactical half doors from Federal Military, it will meet my needs of representing the species.

We have removed the sheet steel "amour" from the top for weight and now I need to find some sort of turrent cover or hatch. salad 1.JPG

thoner7

I’m curious - how difficult is it to remove and replace the windshield and gasket? Do they get fused in there? I’m debating removing my windshields for painting rather than taping them off. And I’ll replace the gaskets because they are covered in old paint too.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m curious - how difficult is it to remove and replace the windshield and gasket? Do they get fused in there? I’m debating removing my windshields for painting rather than taping them off. And I’ll replace the gaskets because they are covered in old paint too.
If they are installed dry, they are usually easy to remove. The rubber might harden a bit over time, but it doesn't usually stick to the frame.
If they were installed with something like RTV or another sealant, you're probably going to break the glass to get them out, so better to take them off.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "gaskets" are cheap enough but if you have a bead blaster you can make the old ones good as new.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chiming in here - Black Dog Customs has the ECV/REV spaced retainers that are made for the standard thin reproduction glass. A little bit of filing required for the holes but every humvee is a little different anyway. 1/4-20x1” bolts
BTW... Looks like you also need to add the bottom retainers.

IMG_6645.jpg

signsup

Already ordered the most affordable (cheapest_ retainers I could find and the center one arrived yesterday. I have yet to actually line up the holes, but initially feels like the small holes drilled into the retainer and the larger rimnuts in the windshield will either line up or awfully close. I think if I just enlarge the predrilled holes, I can use the existing 1/4"x20 bolts and will achieve the look of the ECV retainers. Won't know until the eyebrows arrive if the same holds true. If not, that decision will be to just use self tapping screws like in my M998 right nw, or fill the small holes and drill larger holes to use the rimnuts in the M1151 windshield. The seals arrived yesterday as well and muchbeefier than I was expecting. But, with windshield off the vehicle and laying on a flat surface, pretty easy to work with.

Autonomy_Lost

Already ordered the most affordable (cheapest_ retainers I could find and the center one arrived yesterday. I have yet to actually line up the holes, but initially feels like the small holes drilled into the retainer and the larger rimnuts in the windshield will either line up or awfully close. I think if I just enlarge the predrilled holes, I can use the existing 1/4"x20 bolts and will achieve the look of the ECV retainers. Won't know until the eyebrows arrive if the same holds true. If not, that decision will be to just use self tapping screws like in my M998 right nw, or fill the small holes and drill larger holes to use the rimnuts in the M1151 windshield. The seals arrived yesterday as well and muchbeefier than I was expecting. But, with windshield off the vehicle and laying on a flat surface, pretty easy to work with.
Please dont drill holes in your m1151 windshield frame. If you dont have the right retainers I would strongly suggest modifying the retainer and not your truck.

jake20

BTW... Looks like you also need to add the bottom retainers.

View attachment 899810
Yea I've got a set I need to clean up and sandblast - though I question the effectiveness of these. I feel like they don't really push up against the rubber seal all that much - I'm at least able to intall/remove the windshield even with those installed. I actually thought they were some sort of water channels when I first dealt with them lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks