• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield weather strip question

Jake0147

I've managed to find several posts with tips on how to install the weather strip, but I can't seem to find anything here or in the TM that suggests what direction they are installed. I put them in with the "extra lip" facing out, just as the originals were removed. But they seem very very stiff. I almost feel like I'm going to break the glass. So I turned one around. It shuts just nicely, but doesn't seem to sit right with the window shut, and I think it's backwards. Can somebody confirm that the "extra lip" goes towards the front of the truck?

Attachments

hole

I installed mine with the largest lip facing forward ( as it was when I took out the old ones) they were alittle stiffer but broke in in no time. We open our windshields alot in sunny so cal so they get alot of use. Hope that helps

Jake0147

That does help, Thanks. I thought that way made more sense, but man are they tight... Oh well, salting season starts early up here since the flatlanders have taken over. They'll have all winter to settle in. :cry:

vtdeucedriver

Welcome to one of the worst jobs on those trucks!!!!!!! The lip foreward is right, put the back part in first at the bottom and then tuck the fwd lip in, get the bottom in 1st then the sides. I use a small flat screwdriver to tuck it in.

hole

I found that a small amount of soap mixed with water was very helpful too, lubed the gasket just enough to be able to push in with screwdriver without tearing

Jake0147

After about ten minutes of frustration, I actually found a screwdriver that was just worn enough, just sharp enough, just wide enough, and got a technique that worked pretty good. It got quicker each time... Stubborn nature made me install the gasket dry. By the last time I used lube. I think it went in easier without the lube. I mean it slid in easier at first with a little soap, but I couldnt' get the top of the "T" into the slot just right. It kept squoozing around the screwdriver instead of tucking into the slot. I had to install with the screwdriver, then go back and "fix" the install with a putty knive and the screwdriver.

hole

For the most part , a worn flat blade screwdriver worked on 80% of the job for me. For reasons I cant explain a putty knife worked better on the last little bit. I actually thought removing / reinstalling the window frames was the bigger pita , at least for one person.

m35tech

weather strip 2 cents

I thought I would add my 2 cents, depending on its use, good 3m weather strip adhesive , and when putting in the weather stripping either let it warm up, put it in a box with a heat lamp on it , helps it be more pliable and or use a hair dryer from the wife, this also helps the adhesive set as well. or to remove the old adhesive and weather stripping....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks