• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield wiper arm loose

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driver's side windshield wiper arm does not park at the 4 o'clock position but hangs at the 5:30 position when the motor swings it back and forth it only traces an arc from 8:00 to 5:30 with me sitting in the driver's seat looking out the window. Passively, when the motor is off, I can push it to the 4 o'clock position, and it feels loose ( and the passenger side wiper arm does not move). The passenger side operates correctly With the motor on and cannot be moved with the motor off. The motor operates correctly.

I do not see how to remove the windshield wiper from its post to see if it is loose between the arm and the post or if it is loose somewhere between the post and the motor.

I would like to know how to remove the windshield wiper arm. I would like to know points of common failure. I would like to know how to view the internal structure. I believe this is all complicated by the fact that I have a hard top.

Thanks in advance

T

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And how do I remove the windshield wiper arm from the post??

EDIT - On most wipers there is a plastic thingie that pops up and allows access to a nut that holds the arm to the post. I don't see that here.

Thanks

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google it and thousands come up.
Not sure what U r asking me to Google. As edited above, on most wipers there is a plastic thingie that pops up and reveals the nut holding the washer arm to the post. I don't see that here.

I guess the best question is "what page is this in the TM"? I can't find it under windshield and there is nothing in the index about wiper.

Where is it hidden?

(Guess it is soon time to print me an entire technical manual on legal size paper at my office over the next few weeks.)

Last edited:

Action

It is in the TM under WINDSHIELD WIPER BLADE AND ARM MAINTENANCE. It just pushes on. There is a pic to show where the catch is that holds it on.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks...

I found a pic in the TM BUT from the back so I can't see. Now I know to look for a tab.

Should be easier.

THANKS!!

NormB

Have same problem with my RT side wiper pivot.

Dug around on the web yesterday a bit and find there's an UPDATED part, with the shaft peened/driven into the wiper arm end so it's less likely to come loose.

What I'm at a loss for is to figure out which part number this is.

A reading from the book of parts, TM9-2320-280-24P, pp 327, 1-2.

Lo, in the days of American General, did TACOM command an update for a pitiful part.

Thou shalt strengthen the pivot, American General.

And it was good [or better, my MILSPEC languaging is a bit rusty]

Part 1 - NSN 2540-01-422-0253 comes up as:

GS-2176, 12340660, and R12340660. Also 5585157.

Many pages of the Internet Concordance disagree about which parts are original, which part(s) are the ones commanded by TACOM to be new and improved. On some sites you can find two different numbers, but no one is indicating which is the new/improved. I'm GUESSING the R (revised?) part. Wish I'd cut/pasted that page but it got a little hectic at work yesterday.

Someone care to throw me a bone here?

Thanks,

Norm

(PS - born again Christian, and I find a LOT of humor in the bible, try 2Kings18 w/Elijah poking fun at the worshippers of Ba'al while they cut themselves up).

Last edited:

NormB

Maybe this will help?
THAT was the article I saw and couldn't find again.

Same part # as original. This WAS updated, there are several different mfrs with different numbers. I'm finding quite a few sellers on ePay that are pushing Chinese stuff - I don't want.

Question is, is there a part number assigned to the NEW part with the swaged shaft, not the press-on shaft (PS mag ran an article on repairing this with a drill bit and split pin).

Thanks.

daniel.7575

When I got my truck the screen frame was new and empty, just came with a bag of spares.. I found you had to possess super human strength to install the op arms to the motor mount and pivots!
When fitted as soon as I operated the wipers they kept coming popping off.. Was very frustrating.. Eventually I discovered that when the screen was assembled the rubber feet bolted on the top were installed with 1-1/2" long bolts which were catching on the op arms inside the frame..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks