• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Wiper Power Loss

Vexiis

I have a very odd problem I haven't been able to isolate, so I figured I would ask here. I have a radio running to the fuse box at the fuse labeled "LPS" just to the left of fuse #6 from this post. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?132309-CUCV-Fuse-Box-Layout I have also tested it in the three 12v ports controlled by fuse 15 when the truck is on. The power works fine in both places, however as soon as I turn on my windshield wipers I lose power to the radio, everything else on the truck works fine. The windshield wipers are very slow so I think I may need to replace the motor but it still works.

Any ideas of why the radio would lose power? It happens regardless of which fuse it is connected to.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Radio? That's a little vague don't you think? CB radio? Ham radio? AM/FM radio? Military radio?

You should always wire a two-way radio directly to the battery. If you want on-off with the ignition, wire a relay through the wiper fuse- it's the only one that's ON in the RUN and ACC positions.

For an AM/FM radio, I would do the same as above with the ignition control through a relay.

Vexiis

Sorry, it is a AM/FM radio. Ok I'll have to look into wiring it directly with a relay from the wiper fuse. I just found it strange it turns off when the wipers are on (regardless of which fuse it is connected through).

dependable

The windshield wipers are very slow so I think I may need to replace the motor but it still works.

Any ideas of why the radio would lose power? It happens regardless of which fuse it is connected to.
If the wiper motor is on its way out,(like armature/winding short) it could draw enough amps to affect the whole system. Replacing or testing the wiper motor is a good start.

The fuel heater circuit is off the wiper fuse also, another thing to check if there is a short.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks