• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshieldframe and Wiper mod

59apache

Chipmaker
I've switched to electrical wipers...
wiper motor: Omix-Ada OMX-1910104
wiper arm: ANCO 41-01 ANC-41-01
wiper blade ANCO 31-13 ANC-31-13

The wiper motor fits perfect, just have to shorten the shaft. No holes to drill in the frame. On the electrical side is a small modification necessary.
With this mod it is possible to switch them remote and keep the return function.
The original knob is now on the electrical switch :)

Attachments

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
Second mod is the frame itself. I've added a seal to it. It's not tested, but i guess its an advantage.
First i've got sheetmetal laser cutted. 1,5mm thick. Then i've welded it to the frame, only with small spots.
The new frame is sealed to the rest with body glue and sealant...
The arms have to clear the new seal, so i moded the hinge.
Not easy to describe, especial in english, i hope it is understandable (the pics should help)

Attachments

59apache

Chipmaker
the windshield itself doesn't need big modifications...just a few countersunk bolts.
I've forgotten one thing...i've made threaded inserts for the hinge on the windshield, removed the old inserts and mount the new 180° turned.

After all, i'm happy with the result. The seal fits tight, i can open the windows and i hope it keeps the water outside.

Attachments

Last edited:

peashooter

Nice job as usual Juergen! I like the switch idea. I also used these same wiper motors. I found you can reverse the park position of the drivers-side motor so it doesn't park right in my viewing area. The shaft is pressed into a gear which you can "overpower" and rotate it 180 degrees. Then dimple the end of the shaft with a punch to "mushroom" it and get the press-fit joint back. I took pictures of the process when I did it, but they didn't turn out:(

59apache

Chipmaker
@Ahab: thank you! (you get it right :) )
@Country / Dave: thanks for the info, but i like my windows. It's great to open them, especial on the trail or on hot days.
If i rember correct, i've seen here on Steelsoldiers a mod with a one-piece windshield.
yup, got it. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?56028-Extreme-Expedition-Vehicle&highlight= & http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196704&d=1282170660
@jeremymx26: Yes, just have to shorten the shaft. Easily done with a small handsaw and a file to deburr
@peashooter: thank you! to bad your pictures doesn't turn out. Allways inspiring to see your work.

The wiper arm comes with an adapter that fit without modification on the shaft.

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
All the way around. At the top it is maybe nessecary to add a foam rubber stripe on the window frame to intensify the pressure on the seal. Time will show.

59apache

Chipmaker
I've been asked about the mod in the wiper motor.
It's very simple. In the PDF you can see a terminal "S" for switched ground. I don't know why, but the motors missing it.
You can switch the +, but the motor stop where ever it want.
I've drilled the plastik thru, made terminal out of a small round brass (drill, tap and solder a short wire), press the terminal in the hole and solder the wire to the other ground wire. Thats it.

Attachments

rustystud

Hey Juergen how did that window seal modification hold up ? It's been a year and a half now ? Still working OK ? I need to replace my seals and if yours worked OK I"ll give it a try.

onemanarmy

But IMHO it's not a substitute for a windshield seal, it's an addition.
Now i can drive in the rain without wet clothes :)
So I just got my electric wiper kit in the mail today.

Do you have any pics of how you shortened the shaft? did you just cut the threaded part carefully without cutting the rotating arm? Then you cut the rotating arm back the same amount?

Kind of lame that there is only one mounting ear.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks