• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter is coming... Ether start questions!

Asymair95

As has been mentioned, a block heater works wonders. I don’t have power out to the parking area, so I went with a grid style intake heater. A diesel fired webasto heater would work too for warming coolant and requires no outside power.

Ronmar

There is no timed metering of the ether. It is metered thru fixed ports/nozzles to deliver X volume per second sprayed, but when the ether sense switch is below 100F(coolant temp), the ether sprays as long as the dash switch is depressed/tank has ether in it.... real simple circuit. CB22 to dash sw, to coolant temp sw, to solenoid, to ground...

The start procedure in the -10 manual(page 2-136) says after you start cranking, cycle the ether switch 3 seconds on, 2 seconds off till the engine starts and runs reliably without it...

glow plugs are usually an IDI thing. DI engines use intake air heaters.

as mentioned the coolant heater is the real ticket, but when you don’t have power... or as mentioned light a fire under it:)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I do not know about a fire under it. What we did to some equipment was just heat in coming air. Took news paper rolled it up like your going to swat the kids, light the end and place it close to air intake.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yea I do not know about a fire under it. What we did to some equipment was just heat in coming air. Took news paper rolled it up like your going to swat the kids, light the end and place it close to air intake.
We used a "Fire Stick". It was a welding rod, with a small loop in one end. Use a piece of jeans cloth pinched in the loop. Dip in diesel. Pull out air filter, (and some folks do not even do this) and light the cloth on fire. When its burning nicely, crank over the engine and put the fire stick close to the air inlet, or even in the air filter housing. The engine will start RIGHT NOW. Mostly the fire will be sucked out, about the time the engine starts. Starts EVERY time. And no ether.

coachgeo

We used a "Fire Stick". It was a welding rod, with a small loop in one end. Use a piece of jeans cloth pinched in the loop. Dip in diesel. Pull out air filter, (and some folks do not even do this) and light the cloth on fire. When its burning nicely, crank over the engine and put the fire stick close to the air inlet, or even in the air filter housing. The engine will start RIGHT NOW. Mostly the fire will be sucked out, about the time the engine starts. Starts EVERY time. And no ether.
our air filter way to far away from engine for this to do much of any good. would take a lot more fire.... but that would use up lot more air inside the intake.... so you end up in a loose loose situation.

Old tractors though use to have a built in system similar... a glow plug and a fuel drip system ignited a fire in the intake up as close to the air pulling into the intake valves the engineers were ok with putting it

Ronmar

our air filter way to far away from engine for this to do much of any good. would take a lot more fire.... but that would use up lot more air inside the intake.... so you end up in a loose loose situation.

Old tractors though use to have a built in system similar... a glow plug and a fuel drip system ignited a fire in the intake up as close to the air pulling into the intake valves the engineers were ok with putting it
Yep, google thermostart...

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Your just heating the ambient air around the intake. Yes the Deuce and 809 series do the diesel fire thing inside the intake.

BEASTMASTER

block heater is the way to go if a storm was predicted and it was cold i'd plug the truck in and it was nice and toasty when i had to go out to plow. i had one that u put one end in you're block drain and the other end in you're heater hose, and the thing worked great for 13 yrs in mass. probably still works but don't need it down here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks