• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter MERDC Verdant Questions

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:-D THANK YOU for posting those pictures!!! I've spent hours Googling, and learned very little about white vehicles used by the military. I have not been able to find out that level of detail in all of my searching and surfing. You have been such a HUGE help!! :) Do you have any more pictures of the white M1028?

I really like the Dodge van! :driver: Do you have any pictures of light pea green USMC vehicles?

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to help! I just wish I had taken more pictures back then, but to a young Marine of limited resources (I was making something like $4600 a year in 1979), film and developing were expensive.
So, sorry, no pictures of vile green cars. The green was quite similar to FS 24533, which is the interior colour of US armoured vehicles (that aren't white inside, thats the other interior colour :) )

The only other 1028 picture I have is this one (below). It is typical in marking to other civilian coloured vehicles, even though it is a converted former tactical vehicle. It was, alas, in a junk yard when I found it.

A side note, the 54 at the beginning of the 6-digit ID number indicates a CUCV. Most, if not all, CUCVs in Marine service are 54####. The Marine 6-digit ID is always numeric, whereas the Army throw letters in there (they have more stuff, need a broader range of ID's).
The Air Force use a system where the first two numbers are the year the item was taken on inventory (usually the vehicle year model, but not necessarily), then a letter to indicate what type, K indicating tactical, then up to five numbers (but usually four) which are the actual sequence the item was placed on inventory. An example- 96K0657 would translate as the 657th tactical vehicle taken onto the Air Force inventory in 1996.

Attached below are a typical Government plate serving the Marines (the MC on the plate stands for Marine Corps), and a generic later GSA plate, which is similar to what most of the sedans would have.

Cheers

Attachments

Another Ahab

A side note, the 54 at the beginning of the 6-digit ID number indicates a CUCV. Most, if not all, CUCVs in Marine service are 54####. The Marine 6-digit ID is always numeric, whereas the Army throw letters in there (they have more stuff, need a broader range of ID's).
The Air Force use a system where the first two numbers are the year the item was taken on inventory (usually the vehicle year model, but not necessarily), then a letter to indicate what type, K indicating tactical, then up to five numbers (but usually four) which are the actual sequence the item was placed on inventory. An example- 96K0657 would translate as the 657th tactical vehicle taken onto the Air Force inventory in 1996.
Thank you for the systems clarification here, M813rc.

It astounds me that each separate service has their own individual system totally unrelated to the other branches of service. You know, I might be missing something. But It sure seems, you know for lack of a better word: stupid.

It reminds me of the stories of the rail service in the U.S. Civil War that led to the standardization of rail gauges. Until the standardization, the supply chain was completely chaotic trying to roll freight from one State to another, much less one rail line to another.

There might be a good explanation. And then again there just might not. Please tell me what I'm missing here, because otherwise I'm hearing we have a 19th Century system serving our 21st Century military.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The second picture of the white M1028 helps me a great deal. I'm thankful you had your camera on you the day you went to that junkyard. Pictures are truly worth thousands of words, but your explanations provide even more value to me. :)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to be of some help. I carry a digital camera with me most of the time these days, for just such an opportunity as recording that M1028. My phone takes creditable pictures too.

By the way, love the car in your avatar. [thumbzup]

Cheers

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. My wife calls Alyssa 'the other woman in my life'. Thankfully she loves her as much as I do. :) I'll gladly take you for a ride if you find yourself in the Central Florida area. :)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My lady calls the V100 "the Mistress". She says the V has to be a girl because she took so long to get ready, everything had to be just right, has so many accessories, and I spend so much time with her.
We are fortunate that both seem to get along with our "others".

I will gladly take you up on the offer of a ride. Florida is one of the five states I have never stepped foot in (though I got within 5 miles without realizing it on a trip last year), but I intend to remedy that. :)

Cheers

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have another question regarding the numeric markings on civilian vehicles. I noticed that the Dodge van has 25073 stenciled on the doors. Does '25' designate the vehicle and all other vehicles as civilian acquired?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed that the Dodge van has 250473 stenciled on the doors. Does '25' designate the vehicle and all other vehicles as civilian acquired?
I do not have the answer to that! It likely does mean something of that sort, but unless I can give you correct information, I'll resort to the "I dunno", :shrugs: rather than guess at it. So, further research needed.

Cheers

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahab - You're correct. Alyssa is a 1930 Ford Model A Town Sedan. :) She is was built early in the 1930 production run - she has an oval speedometer with a trip odometer and a pull down rear seat arm rest. These features disappeared later in the 1930 models.

Another Ahab

ODFEver, I guess this post belongs in the "My Other Vehicle" thread, but for the record that is one beautiful restoration; that is a CAR. :beer:

And so I don't get thrown into detention here, did you paint it MERDC Green!?

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, Ahab. She was restored to her factory original specifications by an amazing man named Clint. He did a frame-off restoration from 1968-1971. Clint passed away many years ago. I never got to meet him, but I get a sense of who he was by his insane attention to detail. It is my honor to preserve her just as he restored her. I made a personal vow to the kind gentleman that I bought her from - I will never make any permanent modifications to her or alter her in any way that cannot be easily and painlessly reverted.

To keep this post MV and paint & body related, I will never repaint her. The paint on her is lacquer. I will preserve her paint as it is. Flat paint was never sprayed on any Model A's that were used by the military.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks