• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winter rediness

Marlboro

Will be my first year with an artic front. I'm excited for colder weather beings i got it finally.
Well i put it on friday after work, it was 35 degrees out saturday with a heavy wet mix falling. I was blown way that after about a half hour the temp was climbing fast past 200, At 210 i pulled over an rolled the flap up which brought the temp down to 185. During 100 degree days this truck never goes over 180. Lets just say i like the artic front but it needs to get colder:wink:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in ND and we have been known in the past to get LOTS of snow and LOTS of darned cold temps, I have a block heater on my Deuce and a front radiator shroud/cover, I run straight #1 diesel with a antijell additive for any slippery driving I drop all tires down to 20 PSI that is EXCLUDING the front axle I leave them at 50 PSI. I put all new weather stripping on and plugged any holes on the firewall I could and relocated my heater to the same location as the A3, the truck stays warm in the winter and plugged in I have started it with only the block heater and the cold start flame heater on the truck after sitting outside at -15 it seems to work fine, if your going to play in really deep snow your going to need chains Good luck my trucks do fine in the winter!
KK

srodocker

I pulled out my winter front to get it ready to be instaled and thrown on. do i need it right now? no. but want to be able to put it on when needed. since i didnt do it last year hahah

91W350

My old 72 started great all winter on number one diesel and Power Service. I never had to use the manifold heater or ether. When Karl and I originally fired it up at Ellsworth, we gave it a very small shot of ether. It was -12 the night before and a whopping 6 when we started it the first time. At -6 the next morning, we gave it a very small shot as well.

Mine did not have a heater and it was cold in there. It was cold with a Honda Generator running and two electric space heaters in the cab. It would have been flat miserable without that generator!

These two I have now do not have near the power or quick start my 72 had. They also produce very little smoke. I am kind of concerned about cold starting. Hopefully, they will fire up as well as the 72 did. The 71 has a flame heater and the 68 has been converted to ether injection.

Rain X makes a wonderful product that I use on the inside of the windows, it really helps keeps the fogging down. I found that leaving the driver's window down an inch or two circulates the air and helps keep the fogging down. Rain X the outside too, that big flat glass will wick the water to the edge in a hurry. You will find that they very seldom frost or ice over unless the moisture is blown in with wind. A regular frost does not stick to the vertical glass. When we had ice storms, I just sat an electric space heater on the floor and let it keep the cab warm all night.

I second the finger off of the manifold heater switch if you shoot ether in there.

I had no trouble navigating around on the ice with NDTs. But I was used to a M715 on NDTs and they are helpless! The General should do just fine on those big radials. I cannot imagine that you would need chains, if you do, there will not be much else moving! Glen

jsthnt@gmail.com

I am not looking forward to scraping windows. I put on the rain X and it realy seems to help. I have also added two 12 volt window defrosters. I only have one wired right now.
I have not had to start it below 20 yet. But it has always started easy. I am still running more wvo/wmo than diesel. It has been in the upper 20's when I go to work.
I do not think that I will get any of my other projects done before winter. Ran out of time and money. We did miss the snow so far, but I saw a few flakes today.
Last spring I would put my mister buddy heater on the passanger floor, it works great unless it tips over and turns off.

Question on the subject for the guys who have vinyl cargo covers.
Do you leave your covers on in the winter or take them off? I always removed my canvas and stored it away because I knew it would not hold up to a heavy snow load but this will be my first year with the 3 piece vinyl.
Any thoughts on how much snow it can hold if any?
-GM

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If anyone needs chains and wants the automatic chain system there is this listing in the spokane craigslist.

Never have to put on chains again! "Onspot" Model 04 632 automatic chain system. Mounted on your truck's rear suspension, at the flick of a dash-mounted switch it kicks in for serious traction whenever needed. No climbing out and fumbling around in the dark and cold. Complete system, near-new condition, includes operation and installation manuals, wiring, controls, and optional air compresser and accumulator tank for application to light trucks (those without air brakes). Perfect for the serious snowmobile enthusiast, other winter sportsman, or rural emergency or delivery trucks. See it work at Onspot of North America and U-Tube.

Comes with mounting brackets for Bounder motorhome; Onspot has custom mounting hardware kits available for all popular trucks for about $260. New, with the compresser option, these systems go for $2,080.

Priced at $490. I am pretty sure with some small fabrication work you could make it work on a deuce or a 5 ton. There is a video below of it. I have heard good things about these. The school district here has these on their buses and they can go pretty good. Just think it would save time and also if you get into soft ground with a deuce u can hit the switch and get instant traction.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEsSCcnSoiY[/media]

houdel

The vinyl cover will hold a lot of weight. Couple of years ago we had a heavy snowstorm followed by a heavy rain. The snow sucked up the rain and got real heavy. Before I could get out there to clear the snow off, the cover collapsed. Broke most of my bows and uprights, bent most of the corners, but the cover was not damaged. Moral of this story - If you leave your cover on over the winter, clear the snow off before it accumulates too deep!

deuceaid

Banned
Thanks simp5782 , I always wondered why some of the school buses from the local mountains had short chains hanging from the middle of the bus....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks