• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter storage ,keep the critters out of the cab.

markmontana

And the winner is...

I claim the grand prize for critter crap in a deuce (multiple trucks - would that be deece?). I have pack rats piling up stuff from floor to top of the seats in a couple trucks.

I'm gonna try some of these fragrance ideas, along with covering the cabs with tarps. This is part of my recent interest to preserve them instead of treating them like junk.

Thanks for all the ideas. (walking off the stage with the trophy...)

Dave

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I claim the grand prize for critter crap in a deuce (multiple trucks - would that be deece?). I have pack rats piling up stuff from floor to top of the seats in a couple trucks. Dave
It sounds like you definitely won that contest! Since my earlier post, mice have now chewed through another seatbelt, this time in my VW Jetta TDI. Knock on wood, they have now left my Deuce alone for awhile.

Akicita

I have used moth balls in the bay of my bus (not a military vehicle) for years to keep ants other insects out. Smells bad at first but really works well for a long time. I had ant problems one summer but haven't had any trouble since I put moth balls out.
I have not tried Altoids peppermint but that may also work and it smells a lot nicer.
So, the Q. is what would you like your mice to smell like when you pick 'em up.
Jeff

KsM715

I havent been back to this thread since late Dec. and I must say.....roflLiterally, the leprechaun and how to get rid of them.

I put a cap full of peppermint oil in each truck and so far so good. I stopped feeding the outside cat so much also. Maybe he's been getting hungry and decided to get back to his job.

derby

This Year has been bad for mice around the farm. I have tried the dryer sheet no luck,sticky trap caught it but all the wrigling around on the floor got dirt on the trap and they were able to get off and chew the rest up. poision works but not well,I have found a winter storage of poision in the bottom of my rail road jack. snap trap works but can't keep the other mice from eating the dead one. yah,I was grosed out by that too. our cat's only last a short while (3-18 mos.) we have a large population of coyote around. I am also working to eliminate that too. I will try the pepermint oil. I tried pepermint leaves because it grows on the farm but they dry up in a week or less. they got in to a Jobox I had in the barn, thought it was a safe haven, little suckers got in the lock hole and had a poo-athon on some new welding gloves.

phantomjeep

not sure if altoids will work, I use real peppermint oil that is used in cooking, altoids contain sugar mice like them!!!! I put the whole bottle in the cab and it lasts all winter and still has a 1/2 as of today. For two bucks a bottle its a low cost deturent.

FrankUSMC

What has worked for me is a cat.......first, I do not like cats. Never did. When we bought this farm, the lady said as she was moving out, that "cat" goes with the house. GREAT! a stupid cat......
I have alot of canvas here for all my trucks. Mice love canvas. Right after we moved in, the "cat" brought me a dead mouse. I looked at her and said out loud "ok, you're on payroll". Every morning, I feed that cat at 0530, and again at 1600,she has killed alot of mice, last week she brought us 4 dead mice. I do not remember putting her on over time. I still do not like cats, but I love this one.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Pasaway

I don't get many problems with rodents. Occasionally spiders. I get my fair share of black widows, but if i sweep out the area, the BWs don't stay too long. They don't seem to like a lot of activity.

My Big problem is CATS, and it's not a winter problem, it's year round.
They like my motorcycle, with the cover strapped on tightly or not, and they love to use the seat as a scratching post.
They love the drivers seat in my Jeeps. it's gotten to where I have to wrap the seat in a garbage bag and place weight in the seat to keep them from liking it.
and they love to breed in my boat, with or without the cover. they love the storage area under the seats.

I've tried Mothballs, but they seem to loose the effect after a month or so.
The BB gun, runs them off, but doesn't seem to keep them gone.
The dog works well in the back yard, but she can't get into the jeeps to chase out the cats, and the Motorcycle and boat both sit out front.

any suggestions?

67X

Pasaway..i have a potental solution..maybe try getting a piece of cardboard or even a heavy fabric..go out and buy some roofing nails push them through the fabric so you have a giant pin cushion place pin cusion on the seats/seat of your bike and truck..one thing i would suggest is put plastic or some barrier between the underside of the spike pad and your MC seat would hate for the nail heads to rust and stain your seat..use a bungee to wrap around bike to secure spike pad. this idea popped into my head after watching some youtube videos where people flipped those clear carpet protector mats upside down in a hallway and videoed unsuspecting victims as they stepped on them.:evil: hope this helps

I do like cats because i hate rodents.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Big problem is CATS
Being lovers of both CATS & DOGS, we would never want to harm our "children", HOWEVER, the cats like the soft soil in our houseplants too much.

The one sure-fire cure for this problem was GROUND HOT PEPPER - Any pepper will work (not black pepper though). We have wild Chilipiquin Peppers and also cultivate Jalapeno Peppers - either one works VERY WELL. Dehydrated and ground to a powder, then sprinkled in the area you don't want the cats to hang out or "mark". The cats don't like the smell nor the burning sensation on their sensitive foot pads.

For your motorcycle, I would suggest sprinkling Hot Pepper Powder on a towel, then draping the towel over the seat with a plastic barrier to keep the good stuff away from your butt later.:jumpin::cookoo:

Jalapeño - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pequin pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2cents

Pasaway

22 with scope
It's funny or sad you mention that. I think my brother would have been doing that already if he lived a little closer to the edge of town. My wife won't let me try it out. I'm not a cat fan (love dogs) but my wife loves every animal. But, I know from an experience with groundhogs, that my 30.06 doesn't leave much evidence afterward.

I'll have to try the other two ideas. I think they both have potential in my boat and jeeps. but I think I'm going to have to get one of those personal collapsible Motorcycle garages to keep the bike safe. I just need to leave vegas, I miss small towns and the countryside.

phantomjeep

Spring is almost here and the trucks are clean, no critter poop or damage. How did your rig fare the winter storage???? Mine were on peppermint oil, look great and smell good too. Even the back of the M109 is clean. Get your reports in!!!!!!

Srjeeper

:ditto:

Did the job for me also, better than moth balls and the smell is refreshing to say the least.

I'm usin the stuff in all our vehicles now as a air freshener..:mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks