• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter Storm Preps

CT-Mike

I live in CT and we are looking at 8-12” of snow and hurricane force winds, and temps 10 - 15 below 0 over the next couple days. With that in mind I will be starting the -803 and letting it get up to temp. I load banked it last month so I know that it is in good working order.

I will have 15 gallons of fresh diesel on standby, plus the 10 that is in the tank. This evening before going to bed I will be firing up the arctic mod block heater. I will gladly burn the 0.1 gph that it takes to ensure the generator will start when I need it.

I start nights tomorrow night so I am doing everything today to ensure the wife is all set. I did make up a procedure manual for her to start the beast and transfer the loads over, including photos of every switch and meter she needs to look at.

Anything else I should do?

Bmxenbrett

Did you add antigell in your diesel? I forgot this in the spring when i added alge block. My primary set is all ripped appart for a well nut and fuel filter. I went to my secondary set and its all froze. O well winter is actualy when i need it the least.
I am going to get some 911 today.

I have never used one with an arctic kit. Does it need to be running before it gells up?

Edit: having a few gal of kerosene on hand may be nice to cut the diesel.

CT-Mike

Did you add antigell in your diesel? I forgot this in the spring when i added alge block. My primary set is all ripped appart for a well nut and fuel filter. I went to my secondary set and its all froze. O well winter is actualy when i need it the least.

I have never used one with an arctic kit. Does it need to be running before it gells up?

No, I hadn’t thought about adding anti-gel to the fuel. The 15 gallons will be in the garage which is heated to 45 F so I don’t think I will need to treat that, but I will add some to the tank.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If it is already gelled get a new fuel filter the paraffin in the fuel turns to wax when it gels , this plugs the filters and 911 won't clear them . Fill the new filter 50/50 with 911 and diesel.

CT-Mike

Will look in the tank when I get home. Pulled a bonehead move yesterday and added windshield washer de-iced fluid to the radiator overflow bottle. Currently at the dealer getting a flush and fill, too cold to be laying on the ground in my driveway. Ya can’t fix stupid.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah cheap money insurance is Power Service Diesel 911 (red bottle) and Power Service Anti-Gel+ Cetane boost (white bottle). Available at most auto parts stores, walmart, etc. Always make sure you have (1) spare fuel filter on hand (I buy my fuel and oil filters 12 at a time from Fleet Filter).

If you haven't run this in the last couple of weeks, what I would do is leave the fuel in it as is, and dump in anti gel and 911, and let the fuel pumps run for 5 minutes or so (or as long as you feel like... longer is better here). Just get the fuel system moving again, and let the 911 move through the set. After you feel it has sufficiently cycled, start it up and do what you normally do. But for short money, make sure you antigel the **** out of it.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Never hurts to run a cetane booster when mixing with kero, to keep everything happy.

Bmxenbrett

If it is already gelled get a new fuel filter the paraffin in the fuel turns to wax when it gels , this plugs the filters and 911 won't clear them . Fill the new filter 50/50 with 911 and diesel.
No 911 added to the tank wont help an alreaty froze up system. Il start my vehicle and run its exhaust into the cabinet if i need the set working.

CT mike you may want to get some antigel. The stuff can be hard to get when its really cold like it has been around here. One buddy was asking for alternative products/tricks for his truck when every place in the county was sold out.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not advocating to help clear the filter. I am advocating for the rest of the lines. If a little can pass, the 911 will fix it. If its completely blocked, break out the torpedo heater.

My Kubota threw an injector line pressure fault a few days ago (very cold, as you know). A little antigel and a healthy splash of 911... worked itself out in 10 minutes.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Yes, Have a bunch of anti-gel go go juice on hand. Actually, it would be wise to add it to any fuel you are going to run in your generator.

A bunch out there. Which ever brand you can find.

Power Service products.
Howe's diesel treat

With the cold weather, you might find the shelves empty.

Good luck.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, 911 is basically out of stock EVERYWHERE right now. And at least up here, the distribution hub must be near Boston (as I am told all trucks are planning on not running tomorrow with the storm, and unsure how Friday will look). Glad I have some on the shelf (though I told myself last week I should get a backup 80oz jug).

CT-Mike

Found a 32 oz of Diesel 911 so I at least have that. Will replace the fuel filter also and then run the fuel pump for 5 minutes prior to starting the set.

CT-Mike

So I can’t find any Anti-gel/Cetane boost. But they do have Diesel Kleen/Cetane boost. Worth it or no?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a lot of people don't like them ans swbradley had one catch on fire on his truck and since the is a generator thread ,
you probably are without power ( but could help before power goes out to get them going once out ). But Kats magnetic heaters work good on metal diesel and hydraulic oil tanks to warm the fuel oil , just make sure to place them where there is full contact with liquid.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I can’t find any Anti-gel/Cetane boost. But they do have Diesel Kleen/Cetane boost. Worth it or no?
No , from PowerService website .
[ Diesel Kleen can be used year-round, but it is not a diesel fuel winterizer or antigel. When winter temperatures drop below + 30°F. use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (in the white bottle) to provide maximum winter protection for your diesel engine ]

Bmxenbrett

You only need to replace the fuel filter and fill with anti gel if the system is frozen. Since yours isnt just dump in the tank and run the set up to temp and shut off.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah if you arent locked up yet, just treat the fuel, and get the set running and up to operating temp. It should treat the entire system, and make you set for potential outages tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks