• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter Storm Preps

justacitizen

all we ever used in the construction company was either gas or Kerosene to prevent or thaw a gelled engine. even built a fire under the bellypan of the caterpillar. a propane torch lit and held in front of the intake will start a cold diesel if it can get fuel.

CT-Mike

Well I put 4 oz of Red and the same of white into the tank. Let the fuel pump run for 5 minutes then fired it up - no issues. Didn’t bother changing the fuel filter - now have it as a spare. Waiting for the coolant temp to come down some then I will fire up the block heater - that way I can ensure it is working.

Guyfang

Staff member
With the ethanol and all the other crap in the gas now (at least here in the US) , that just adding a new problem.
When I got out of the army, ethanol was not an additive. Real diesel, real gas. its been 25 years.

Here is a story from WW2. My Father in Law was in the Wehrmacht. He spent 3 and a half years on the Russian Front, wounded three times. During the winter of 1942, the temperatures dropped to under -35 or -40. Nothing would start or run . At the time, the Germans had around about 1 million Russians in the German Army, They were call HIWI's, for Hilfswillieger, for voluntary helpers. In his company, there were about 40-50 Russians. The company was in some small village, and could not get even one truck or half track started. One of the Germans asked a HIWI how the Russians managed to get trucks and tanks running, when they could not. The HIWI told everyone he would be right back. He came with a 20 ltr. fuel can and opened the hood of the half track up and poured a little in the oil reservoir. By then, the Germans were starting to get uneasy. Then the HIWI poured the rest of the fuel into the engine compartment! And struck a match! Everyone drew pistols, rifles and machine pistols, and were ready to blow the guy away! So he jumped down into the middle of the Germans and screamed to "Stop, wait, I show you" and so forth. The fuel didn't burn too long. The HIWI jumped up into the cab, and started the half track! The rest of the winter, the Germans started all the vehicles in a similar method. Was hard on the paint, and you had to make sure to avoid the wires, but it worked.

ageregunner

When I got out of the army, ethanol was not an additive. Real diesel, real gas. its been 25 years.

Here is a story from WW2. My Father in Law was in the Wehrmacht. He spent 3 and a half years on the Russian Front, wounded three times. During the winter of 1942, the temperatures dropped to under -35 or -40. Nothing would start or run . At the time, the Germans had around about 1 million Russians in the German Army, They were call HIWI's, for Hilfswillieger, for voluntary helpers. In his company, there were about 40-50 Russians. The company was in some small village, and could not get even one truck or half track started. One of the Germans asked a HIWI how the Russians managed to get trucks and tanks running, when they could not. The HIWI told everyone he would be right back. He came with a 20 ltr. fuel can and opened the hood of the half track up and poured a little in the oil reservoir. By then, the Germans were starting to get uneasy. Then the HIWI poured the rest of the fuel into the engine compartment! And struck a match! Everyone drew pistols, rifles and machine pistols, and were ready to blow the guy away! So he jumped down into the middle of the Germans and screamed to "Stop, wait, I show you" and so forth. The fuel didn't burn too long. The HIWI jumped up into the cab, and started the half track! The rest of the winter, the Germans started all the vehicles in a similar method. Was hard on the paint, and you had to make sure to avoid the wires, but it worked.
Great story, Guyfang! Here in my part of PA., there is only one place within 20 miles that sells ethanol free gasoline, and they charge about a third more for it. I still fill cans and use it to power my gasoline lawn and garden equipment.

CMPPhil

Hi

Storm prep this morning was trying get my Honda 3500 generator to carry a load, back during the ice storm just before Christmas it finked out. Had load tested and service it in the fall. No luck then or this morning.

Whats this got to do with SteelSoldiers well then moved out the trailer mounted 1943 M5 generator turned on the fuel pulled the choke hit the starter and it fired right up. Got to love that 1943 technology. Both generators had been run and serviced the same day back in the fall.

M5.png

So if I don't get the Honda which plugs into the transfer switch for the house running then its drag the M5 over to the house and start running extension cords to critical stuff, heat.

Cheers Phil

CT-Mike

Well the block heater is firing away cycling on its thermostat maintaining the coolant around 180 F. Gotta love military technology and its general reliability.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice!
Have been looking for a set with the block heater to come to auction nearby.
Hopefully this storm won't clobber "us" too hard. 12-18 expected here.
Have my sets ready to run, 13 Kw battery bank charged and 2 drums of treated diesel at the ready. Bring it on!

Chrispyny

With all this talk about storms, and cold weather, i put a pint of kero in a full 5 gal tank on my 802, along with 2 oz of power service white bottle. Ran it for half an hour.
I’m only at 5 gal of reserve or so left in my diesel caddy. I have to top off, and treat it as well. Never topped off after mowing season this summer.
We aren’t forcasted to get the snow that the far eastern part of New England will get, but we should get about 4”. The HIGH is forcasted for 1°F Saturday. I’m ready.

dav5

The Russian front must have been a horror show in the winter. My old neighbour was a German child soldier fighting the Russians at the end. He said the luckiest day of his life was when he was able to get to an Allied patrol to surrender rather than ending up surrendering to the Russians.I grew up in Kapuskasing in northern Ontario. -40 was not unusual for weeks. Propane "tiger torches" were used to heat the oil pans on diesel engines and a canvas tarp sometimes was thrown over the unit to keep the heat in. Once they were started they rarely shut them down.

rustystud

The Russian front must have been a horror show in the winter. My old neighbour was a German child soldier fighting the Russians at the end. He said the luckiest day of his life was when he was able to get to an Allied patrol to surrender rather than ending up surrendering to the Russians.I grew up in Kapuskasing in northern Ontario. -40 was not unusual for weeks. Propane "tiger torches" were used to heat the oil pans on diesel engines and a canvas tarp sometimes was thrown over the unit to keep the heat in. Once they were started they rarely shut them down.
That sounds like what they did when building the AlCan highway back in the 30's. My father worked on it as a civilian truck driver. They ran in convoys and when they stopped at the army stations to eat and use the outhouse they put fuel in the hub caps and placed them under the oil pans and transmissions and differentials. Then they lit them off. The fuel burned slowly heating the oil. My father told of one new guy that forgot to put one under the differential. After eating (about one hour) they got back into their trucks and got under way. The new guys differential literally blew apart ! Remember those were the split housings back then. Also the dozers the army used were never shut down and had to constantly move to prevent the tracks from freezing up. Fun was had by all back then !!!

Guyfang

Staff member
On our mountain top missle site here in the winter, sometimes it would get down to -30. We had to go around and start every vehicle and gen set. Every few hours we had to wade through the snow towing a self made battery cart, with a 3 kW DC generator and 4 batteries mounted on it. Two guys with snow shovels, two guys towing the cart, one guy to handle the slave cable and generator and one guy to go ahead of the whole goat rope and get vehicle doors open and snow out of the cabs. When the site was built, there was no good place to park the 50 plus the trucks and almost that many trailers. So a "ditch" was bulldozed through a small high spot on the site. Maybe 25 yards wide and 25 feet deep and 100 yards long. It was paved, that was all. The trucks parked side by side. We had high winds all the time and the blown snow would blow in from the surrounding area, and fill in the ditch. It was a never ending job in the winter.PICT2515.jpg

This is what it looks like in summer. I will try and find a picture of winter.

Last edited:

dav5

The Lowther radar site was just west of us. It was part of the Pinetree early warning system. I remember the U.S troops when they came into town were all dressed in their white winter garb with huge white super insulated "moon boots". It seemed like most of them had southern accents. They must have been in shock when the thermometer hit -40.
I also worked in Moosonee up on James Bay one summer when I was going to university. The radar base was the only game in town if you wanted some fun. Great food and facilities compared to what was in town. Invitations were treasured.

Bmxenbrett

Since we are talking about cold weather and 802/803 sets has anyone ever had a set (802)that wouldnt heat up with no load and only get to about 150* when under a 5kw load? Was about 20*.

jamawieb

You can take the top radiator hose off, at the thermostat housing and take a glance in, to see if it has the thermostat inside. Some units I get in are missing the thermostats. I've only had 1 unit where the thermostat stuck open causing the same issue. Just FYI you can buy a thermostat for a late 80's model Chevy V8 that works perfect in these engines. You want a 180F thermostat.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all this talk about storms, and cold weather, i put a pint of kero in a full 5 gal tank on my 802, along with 2 oz of power service white bottle. Ran it for half an hour.
I’m only at 5 gal of reserve or so left in my diesel caddy. I have to top off, and treat it as well. Never topped off after mowing season this summer.
We aren’t forcasted to get the snow that the far eastern part of New England will get, but we should get about 4”. The HIGH is forcasted for 1°F Saturday. I’m ready.
How did you come up with this ratio of K1 to diesel? Sounds like a good ratio to me, esp since k1 is $7/gal down here. Best thing I know of to thin diesel though.

rustystud

On our mountain top missle site here in the winter, sometimes it would get down to -30. We had to go around and start every vehicle and gen set. Every few hours we had to wade through the snow towing a self made battery cart, with a 3 kW DC generator and 4 batteries mounted on it. Two guys with snow shovels, two guys towing the cart, one guy to handle the slave cable and generator and one guy to go ahead of the whole goat rope and get vehicle doors open and snow out of the cabs. When the site was built, there was no good place to park the 50 plus the trucks and almost that many trailers. So a "ditch" was bulldozed through a small high spot on the site. Maybe 25 yards wide and 25 feet deep and 100 yards long. It was paved, that was all. The trucks parked side by side. We had high winds all the time and the blown snow would blow in from the surrounding area, and fill in the ditch. It was a never ending job in the winter.View attachment 714303

This is what it looks like in summer. I will try and find a picture of winter.
I bet fun was had by all too ! LOL !!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks