• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter Tires

dragonwagon

I'm running Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's. If these things can't handle the snow then I shouldn't be out in it then.View attachment 214125

Iv played in the off road stuff for a long time , those MTZ tread do very well , the KM2 i seen mentioned i thought did very poor in snow . I watched other rigs with these on , i have not ran either tread my self . KM2 is allso a very soft compound and does not wear well , not sure on the MTZ life span

I live in a region that gets between 300-500 inches of snow per year. It's common for my hubs to be locked for 5-6 months straight. I've run BFG AT's in the past for years, and find that they do OK when newish, but harden up and loose grip quite quickly after that, especially the higher ply variants. I've been running the STA Superlugs this year, and have already been in snow up to 2 feet, and icy and snowpacked and slushy roads, and they seem to be doing alright. You still have to account for a torquey heavy truck though.

OddballJ

does anyone actually have a set of dura trac tires on their rig? my M1009's wranglers look a little rotted and I've been looking at replacing them before it becomes an issue. I'm in an area that doesn't get a ton of snow, but being in NC they're terrible at clearing the roads and it's not uncommon to go for a week with slushy/icy roads. Since we're in the mountains, temperatures change pretty quickly and leave us with a nice coating of ice on all but the main roads through town. Anywho, online reviews seems to think the dura tracs are a good quality snow tire for the money and seem to have good all around performance for the other 3 seasons, and they are studdable just in case this global climate change causes another ice age...
My biggest concerns are a) how long the tread will last, and b) can I fit 33x12.5x15s on an un-lifted m1009. You all seem to have good things to say about the BFG's and most reviews that I saw online were claiming 75k miles on their tires, so I'll probably just go with those unless the dura's would similar in life expectancy :)

WARWAG

I do. My Dura Tracs do perorm better than the BFG ATs in snow. I also have a set of BGs on my presonal truck. But the BFGs have better sidewalls than the Dura Tracs but the Dura Tracs do seem to perform better on snowy roads. Found this out on my trip to Salt lake City to fly out. 4 hours and all highway I can say the Dura Tracs do perform a bit better that The BFGs. Both are good.

warwag, have you had those duratracs in the mud at all? ive seen those and have been considering them to put on the M1010 after i lift it, although i still need to look into available sizes. i used to run 32x11.5x15 BFG MallTerrains on my old 78 Power Wagon in highschool. i dont remember their snow handling characteristics, but i know they did about as good in the mud as a set of M&H D.O.T. Slicks...aua. I remember they used to do ok everywhere else though. and on a side note, the old dryrotted BFG TrailEdge tires that came on my M1010 seem to do good in the snow, and actually did a good job taking us beyond the trails edge in both dry hiiclimbs, and wet muddy trails... surprised the heck outta me!!