• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winterization kit

painkiller

yeah so i just got my kit today from saturn surplus and i have been hearing that you have to fabricate a mount for the heater motor, and before i went all hog wild on the thing i figure i might ask some of you guys to get some ideas so if you have any feel free to tell thanks.

painkiller

ahh thanks guys if its only a couple of brackets or so that will hold it then i think i can do it cheaper than 55 bucks :D

Crazyguyla

the kit was originally designed for the gasser engine and the fender had the space for the heater, with the switch to the multi fuel engine, the fender was redisgned with no shelf. the bracket the military uses is two pieces, here are the dimensions
item: Bracket angle - top
first leg length: 1.00 in
first leg width: 14.375 in
first leg thickness: 0.120 in
first leg angle: 90 Degrees
second leg length: 9.125 in
second leg width: 14.375 in
second leg thickness: 0.120 in
special features -
two 1.000 in X 0.328 in mounting slots located 11.375 in co to c and
0.500 in from edge width by 1.500 in from edge along legnth on first leg

Mark mounting holes for heater on secong leg, the measurments for the holes are out there

item: bracket double angle - side
first leg length: 1.745 in
first leg width: 8.000 in
first leg angle: 90 degrees
first leg distance from edge to center hole along length: 0.750 in
first leg slot length: 1.000 in
first leg slot width: 0.328 in
frist leg thickness: 0.120 in

center section hight: 12.432 in
center sectio width: 8.000 in
center section thicknes: 0.120

second leg length: 2.125 in
second leg width: 8.000 in
second leg thickness: 0.120 in
second leg distance from edge to hole center along length: 0.500 in
second slot width: 0.625 in
second leg slot width: 0.328 in
second leg angle: 90 degress

hope this helps :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is some great information here on heater installs. We had a big thread several months ago. Use the search function at the top and see what shows up.

Opie

I'm beginning to wonder about the history of my truck. Monster Man's pics of his install showed no fender shelf, and I've got a shelf a foot wide inside the left-hand engine compartment door.

Maybe I need to start scraping the paint off of the frame rail...mine may NOT be a '71.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opie, you might have a gasser fender. When you can, take a pic of the whole engine compartment. As far as the original mount, lots of units made there own. Although there is an NSN for an original mount, I wouldn't even know what an original looks like.

mangus580

I seem to recal someplace in my travels, a complete instruction set for installing the heater. I even printed it out... but do you think I could locate it now??? :banghead:

I could take pics of my brackets, but I dont think they are the right ones... and dad still has the deuce at his house and wont bring it home... [:(!] [:(!]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks