• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winterizing M1070 for Harsh Cold Weather

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well...I own a M1070 and it's probably never seen the kind've weather it's going to see in Montana...so I'm going to add a Battery box heater and insulate the box to keep as much heat inside.

Now to the Engine and coolant....Does anybody know the size of the lower radiator hose off hand? Or does anyone know of the best way to circulate the coolant...ie...coolant heat pump or lower radiator hose inline heater or block heater?

I've checked the radiator fluid and it's rated to -40....

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

PowerstrokeNC

Since it has the Detroit Diesel in it which was used in many on road applicationsI am sure there would be an off the shelf block heater available. I don't have a 1070 but block heaters make the world of difference for diesels starting in cold weather....

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the response...just was wondering if a immersion style heater was the best way to go as I have them installed on my own vehicles but is this the best on the Detroit Diesels?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a provision in the lower left hand, front corner, in the water jacket, for a freeze plug heater. That will start the engine here, so in your temperate climate, it will be adequate. In fact, I would be surprised, if it didn't have one already. Otherwise, you will have to cover the rad, etc.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Due to the high compression of the double breasted Driptriots they are very cold natured, especially in sub-zero weather. I spent two tours in Korea and we were out at tank gunnery and the temp was 35 below zero one winter. In that weather it is best to let them idle if they are in continuous use. You have to idle them up high or they will "slobber" (oil will build up in the cylinders).
Keeping the batteries warm is a good idea (that the Army didn't have) and so is a block or coolant heater (ditto). If you can keep them indoors or out of the wind that is a good thing too.
If I ever get a HETT the first thing I'm going to do is lose that V-8 boat anchor.

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Afternoon folks....well I purchased a battery box heater and a engine block heater this week. Although no stranger here to working on Oshkosh trucks it's seems alot more crowded than my Unimog especially with the height already. Does anybody have a options list of the m1070 for winterizing and for summer?

DrillerSurplus

Afternoon folks....well I purchased a battery box heater and a engine block heater this week. Although no stranger here to working on Oshkosh trucks it's seems a lot more crowded than my Unimog especially with the height already. Does anybody have a options list of the m1070 for winterizing and for summer?
TM 9-2320-360-10 has a little bit of basic information on both hot & cold weather operations. I haven't found any of the documents it references (WP 0113, WP 0110, etc) but haven't spent a bunch of time looking. Maybe someone else already has them and can post. An excerpt of the TM pages on cold weather ops is posted below.

View attachment TM 9-2320-360-10 31 March 2010 excerpt re cold weather.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks