• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiper Arm Help

David_4x4

I having trouble locating windshield wiper arms for my truck. I would like to be able to use the same type that was on there. Problem is everywhere I look, the wiper arms offered that are identical to the ones I pulled off, don't have the threaded portion that connects them to my wiper motor shafts :?: :(

Am I looking at something wrong or what? Am I talking about something strange? Anyone know where I can find some or have any for sale?

Thanks in Advance

David

houdel

Better yet check out the "Deuce Wiper Arm & Blade Upgrade" article in the TA section. If that doesn't work for you, you can have my old wiper arms once I get around to upgrading mine!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the shaft part of the wiper motor? The window has a hole in it for the shaft to go thru. Mine don't have any threaded parts, only a kind of taper that seats on the shaft. Only a nut holds the arm on.

David_4x4

Re: RE: Wiper Arm Help

WillWagner said:
Isn't the shaft part of the wiper motor? The window has a hole in it for the shaft to go thru. Mine don't have any threaded parts, only a kind of taper that seats on the shaft. Only a nut holds the arm on.
On my truck the wiper shaft goes like stated, but the wiper shafts are threaded. In oreder to take my arms off, I had to take a screw off the arm where it attaches to the wiper motor shaft. Then take the arm and twist it counter clockwise to unscrew the complete arm from the wiper motor shaft.

Sorry if some of this isn't making to much since. :cry:

24-VOLTS

RE: Re: RE: Wiper Arm Help

YOU CAN HAVE MY WIPER ARMS SINCE I AM GOING WITH THE UPGRADE.
I AM GOING TO INSTAL THE ONES FROM SATURN SUPLUS.

PHILL

gmayor

RE: Re: RE: Wiper Arm Help

I went through this last week. NAPA helped me, the part your looking for is called a "knurled driver". They don't sell them individually, so I bought the wiper arm (NAPA 60-750) that goes with the upgrade earlier posts are talking about. There are four of them in the box with the arm. I was able to use my old military wipers on one truck and will convert my other truck with the new wiper arm. Hope this helps.

bottleworks

I have the Saturn Surplus wiper arm. I can't figure out how the new arm connects to the modern wiper blade. Does anyone have a picture of the Saturn arm connected to the provided wiper blade?

AKJEEP

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Wiper Arm Help

I ran through this this summer.
That NAPA 60-750 arm and blade 60-1033 was about the closest they could come. Those are Jeep parts, but pretty close. None of the tapered inserts were exact - I had to use the one with a set screw and enlarge the hole for the shaft to go in. This worked until the first good rainstorm, then it started slipping on the shaft until it no longer wiped.

I'm wondering if the reason you had to unscrew the whole shaft with the arm would be that the taper is so tight. Like was mentioned before, all the ones I'e ever seen are "pressed" on with the little nut. Remoe that nut and apply some "wiggley-pull", and they pop off the shaft.

David_4x4

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Wiper Arm Help

AKJEEP said:
I ran through this this summer.
That NAPA 60-750 arm and blade 60-1033 was about the closest they could come. Those are Jeep parts, but pretty close. None of the tapered inserts were exact - I had to use the one with a set screw and enlarge the hole for the shaft to go in. This worked until the first good rainstorm, then it started slipping on the shaft until it no longer wiped.

I'm wondering if the reason you had to unscrew the whole shaft with the arm would be that the taper is so tight. Like was mentioned before, all the ones I'e ever seen are "pressed" on with the little nut. Remoe that nut and apply some "wiggley-pull", and they pop off the shaft.
Well the shaft is still attached to the wiper motor.

Have I gone and removed the pressed part that connects the arm to the shaft, when I should have just undid the outer screw and pulled the arm off?

AKJEEP

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Wiper Arm Help

That's what I'm thinking.
The little bugger could be on so tight it seems like one peice...

MrAugust

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Wiper Arm Help

i changed mine in august, and having trouble with spining insert that fits in to the arm, and kit cane with split roll pins. so i sqashed the arm a bit with a tap from hammer and punch on sides now it all works .... bit rough but new arms are crap.....

David_4x4

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Wiper Arm Help

AKJEEP said:
That's what I'm thinking.
The little bugger could be on so tight it seems like one peice...
Well I will go take and post some pics to get some opinions. The base of the arm was cracked which was the starting process of wanting to replace it. So I took a dremel tool just to figure out what I'm looking at. And well the assumed pressed pieces that should attach to the wiper motor shaft are still in the arm :lol:

David_4x4

Ok, here's what I got.

Pic #1: This is the way the wiper arm started off on the truck. Unscrewed the screw shown from arm and ended up with Pic. #2.

Pic #2: Wiper arm still attached to shaft, but with screw removed.

Pic #3: Wiper arm removed from shaft by turning counter clockwise. I tried just shimming it off thinking pressed pieces. But turning counter clockwise was th eonly thing that got any where.

Pic #4: Wiper arm disassembled cave man style to see what was actually going on. Threaded pieces removed etc.

Pic #5: Another picture of what was inside of wiper arm.

Pic #6: Replacement wiper arm purchased from Memphis Equipment.

Pic# 7: Backside of new wiper arm.

The only problem Im having is I clearly think I have 2 different wiper arm models. The new arm looks like it has the attachment guts of the old one. But none of the old parts fit in anyway shape or form to the new arm and I cant figure out how to connect the new arms to the wiper motor shafts.

Im at a complete loss :?

AKJEEP

Pic #3 shows what I think is a standard shaft. The wiper arm you took off attaches in a way I haven't seen - pehaps it was an aftermarket replacement or something. The standard arms go onto that shaft and are held in place with a nut that threads onto the end of the shaft where it protrudes through the hole you see in your new arm. Thing is, there is a little insert that is supposed to live inside that new arm. Probably scrapped when the assy was "upgraded".

David_4x4

Yeah Im at a complete loss. The parts that came out of the old wiper arm look like some of the parts that are in the new wiper arm (particularly the little grey piece in pic 4). But nothing goes into or comes out of the newer arms.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks