• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiper Extension

ewylam

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct wiper arm attachment or if there is some extension installed. If it is an extension, any idea how to remove it to install the correct wipers?

Attachments

DREDnot

My guess is a wiper extension for the thicker armored windshield glass?
I haven't seen one with my own eyes yet.
Does it have a set screw on it somewhere?
Hit it with some PB Blaster just for good luck.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it's just pressed on. I used a couple of claw hammers to pry it off. Just be careful not to slip and hurt your windshield glass.

I ran mine for a half year with the extension in place, it didn't seem to affect wiper performance.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own a set... It is not just pressed on Coug. After pressing in place it is retained with a very small screw requiring removal with an allen type screwdriver.

EDIT - Sorry if the tone of my post is terse Coug. I'm tired and cranky... My son is choosing colleges. I'm choosing ways to go into debt.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own a set... It is not just pressed on Coug. After pressing in place it is retained with a very small screw requiring removal with an allen type screwdriver.
Doh.
Well, I didn't see it. I'd imagine if installed properly it faces down so you can't really see it when working from above. I do know mine came off without too much difficulty though. Didn't cause any damage that I could tell, or that affects putting the wiper arms back on.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just leave them on there. My 1045A2 has them and the wipers work just fine. I wouldn't risk breaking something; nothing gained.

20200423_171230.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wiper pivot extensions on the m1123 don’t have the Allen set screw, they are pushed on and blue locktite was applied. Problem now is, 11yrs later, the 2 pieces are fused together attempted to remove no less than 40 pairs of these, I’ve been successful on maybe 5. So if they don’t come off, I just replace the pivot.
the set screw extensions are a different version, they are longer, there are various lengths based on what windshield setup you have.

ewylam

Good to know the wipers will work with them on. I'll see if they come off easy and if not probably just leave them on. I'll update how my attempt to remove them goes.

Squirel

I was able to easily remove the extensions on my 1123 with a slide hammer. I tried to pry them off with hammers and wonderbars but was worried about the frame and the glass. The slide hammer took the first one off with two hits and the other one came off with one hit. I may have bee more timid on the first one and a bit more confident on the second one.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those things sell for a few bucks on eBay. I seem to recall around 40 or $50 for the pair. You guys might all want to consider selling those pieces. It’s a tight economy and every little dollar helps.

Stay healthy guys.

T

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those things sell for a few bucks on eBay. I seem to recall around 40 or $50 for the pair. You guys might all want to consider selling those pieces. It’s a tight economy and every little dollar helps.

Stay healthy guys.

T
Nah, I'll keep them so I can put armored windshields in later after the apocralypse happens.
But that's only if I can figure out where I put them. Amazing how many things I can misplace in a week.

ewylam

Well, I removed the paint on the extension and verified it does not have the allen screw. They also don't appear to be pressed on because there is about 1-2mm of play on it. It's very hard to see but there may be a retaining ring holding it on. Ring any bells?

Squirel - was that how yours were? How did you attach the slide hammer to them?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I removed the paint on the extension and verified it does not have the allen screw. They also don't appear to be pressed on because there is about 1-2mm of play on it. It's very hard to see but there may be a retaining ring holding it on. Ring any bells?

Squirel - was that how yours were? How did you attach the slide hammer to them?
they are held on with locktite, they need a torch to heat them up, I remove a couple sets a week, they are really on there.
there is no Allen screw like the new style, there are several styles.
the slop you speak of is the pivot shaft, if you pull on them enoug, it will separate and render the pivot useless.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My set definitely has an Allen key cause I used one.

Guess there are a few types

Sorry if I created confusion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks