• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiper speed issue on 1985 cucv

ChrisG

Any thoughts as to why it seems like i have no higher speed wiper function? Does not seem like any speed increase when switched between to speeds on column.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First remove the three noise suppression capaictors that are on the wires going to the motor and see if that helps. They are not need unless you are running some military radios.

Could be a bad switch on the column or a bad motor on the wipers.

ChrisG

That was the first thing I did after some reading on here Warthog. Seems like removing the noise suppressors is a go to move to troubleshoot electrical issues on these trucks. Probably just typical wiper motor issue on these trucks regardless of military or not. Could be because it sat for over three yrs and just needs to be used some to loosen up the kinks.

combat jump

I had the same problem on my 1985 M1028. When I got it, it worked. Then, one speed. A year later, the washer went bad; if I held the button for a full minute, it would work. Then the “return to park” would not work, and I’d have to time shutting off the wiper when the blades neared park. Put up with that for three years. Bypassing the capacitors was no help.

I ordered a replacement wiper motor from O’Reilly’s (without washer pump), figuring I’d swap the washer pump parts. Discovered that there is no way, as the housing is built differently with the pump. Installed it anyway.

The up side is that the wipers now have two speeds, and park when shut off. Also, the pump is pretty easy to figure out, and I will be able to install an aftermarket pump.

Good luck!

Buy a new motor not a rebuild, rebuild are a hit or miss. After viewing the threads that stated the one slow speed and working sometimes everyone said the switch in the column. Take my word don't mess with the switch. I had to take the column out to get back together. In the end it wasn't the switch. I took the motor from my other truck and works like a charm. GM # FOR WIPER MOTOR 22029595

cucvrus

I have had great success with the rebuilds at AZE. They are warranted for life and less then $50. US exchange. You must order the wiper motor for a 1984 K5 blazer or K10-30 full size pickup. They must be 1984. The 1985 civilian went to the pump on the bottom of the reservoir. That is better then a stick in the eye.

Last edited: