• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wire rope m816

Snughill

When in Germany late 70s we were stationed banderhoff Kaserene. Pershing all are wreckers had to perform 6 26 load test on booms and wire rope with no rust or corrosion on hoist motor cable ,winches had to have fixed hoist hook (no swivel) at thimble connection. When we if I remember right all cables had a fiber core running through middle of cable and when using rear winches three Jeep tires were spread on thirds along winch cable to prevent backlash. We had a major problem with this m656 treadle valves losing pressure. A friend just purchased a wrecker 800 series wrecker of GOV Planet all gear boxes were topped off with water crane drive and rotator box was empty, hoist motor gear drive was full of water. both front and rear winches had cable rapped around bumper and rear trolley they had swivel hooks and no fiber in middle of cable. Has the military eliminated the fiber core in the cables? Or Am I mistaken All my wreckers have fiber core. I was always taught that you need a fixed point of pull and swivels will unwrap the cable? Thanks Scott

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott - yes you are correct re using fixed hooks otherwise cable will unwind under load, then attempt to "birds nest" when paying out with load removed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks