• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring a 50 amp 120v rv service

Ranger Danger

Hi guys! I finally bought a MEP-802A 5K genny. Now I need to connect it to a 50 amp 120v RV service which is different than a 50 amp 240v service. I will be using 6 gauge 4 wire for a run of about 60 feet. Please correct me if I am wrong!! I will be connecting the green wire to GND, white wire to N, red wire to L1 and black wire to L3. Then I will be setting the power switch to 120/240v 1 PH position. If this is correct, how many amps/watts should I expect to be getting at each of the hot leads? This will be wired direct into the circuit breaker box in the RV. Thanks RD

Attachments

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 4 wire circuit is 240v. The connector you are showing is a 240v connector. Where are you getting that its 120v only?

Ranger Danger

The half round or U is the ground. The one directly below it is the WHITE or neutral and the other two black wires are 180 degrees out of phase with each other are the HOT 120-volt. In reality you have TWO 120 volt split service going into your RV X & Y are interchangeable, red and black (or 2 black) wires are hot (live) wires, one wire on the X, and the other on the Y. The neutral (white) and the bare ground wire MUST be on their designated connection. The voltage between X and Y should be 240-Volt, X and W 120-Volt, Y and W 120-Volt, X and G 120-volt, Y and G 120-volt, W and G 0-Volt. Always check ALL outlets before plugging in the first time. From this common service we can draw 12,000 watts.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure, I get that. But its still a 240v setup but it will be used as two single 120v circuits.

Ok, the 802 is good for 26a between L1 and L3. Your wire and everything is overkill but that is OK. So if you were in an extreme situation drawing from a single 120v circuit in the RV you should limit your current to no more than 15a. I suspect if you hold that level for too long the breaker on the generator will trip. If you put load on both sides you can go all the way up to nameplate in total (26a).

Ranger Danger

That may be where a problem could arise! Its a 50 amp service because to run all or most of the appliances, 26 amps wont cut it! I really need about 25 amps per hot leg!
120 Volt AC Amp Ratings
Appliance or Electronic EquipmentEstimated Amps
Air Conditioner (X number of A/C)12-16 Amps
Blender5-6 Amps
Coffee Maker5-8 Amps
Compact Disc Player1 Amp
Computer (Laptop)2-3 Amps
Converter1-8 Amps
Crock Pot1-2 Amps
Curling Iron<1 Amp
Drill2-6 Amps
Electric Blanket0.5-1.5 Amps
Electric Fan1 Amp
Electric Water Heater9-13 Amps
Electric Skillet6-12 Amps
Hair Dryer5-12 Amps
Iron5-10 Amps
Light (60 watt % 120V)<1 Amp
Microwave8-13 Amps
Microwave (Convection Oven)13 Amps
Refrigerator in AC mode5-8 Amps
Space Heater8-13 Amps
Television1.5-4 Amps
Toaster7-10 Amps
Vacuum (handheld)2-6 Amps
VCR1-2 Amps
Washer/Dryer14-16Amps
12 Volt DC Amp Ratings
Appliance or AccessoryEstimated Amps
Aisle Light1 Amp
CO Detector1 Amp
Fluorescent Light1-2 Amps
Furnace10-12 Amps
LP Gas Leak Detector1 Amp
Overhead lights (Per Bulb)1 Amp
Porch Light1 Amp
Power Roof Vent1.5 Amps
Radio/Stereo4 Amps
Range Hood (Fan & Light)2-3 Amps
Refrigerator (LP Gas Mode)1.5- 2 Amps
Security System1 Amp
Television (12 volt)4-5 Amps
TV Antenna Booster<1 Amp
TV Antenna Booster 12 Volt outletUp to 8 Amps
Variable Speed Ceiling / Vent Fan4 Amps
VCR Recorder / Player2 Amps
Water Pump4 Amp

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can. That would be one way to not be restricted by the unbalanced load limitations that comes with 240v split phase.

BUT that still only gets you half of the rating of the plug. The second thing it does is put all the current on a single pair of wires. You will be loading that 6 gauge up. Be sure to keep an eye on it to make sure you don't overheat the connector or the cable. Your connections will need to be really tight.

And make sure your cord is rated for it. Most 6ga cord is not rated for 50a.

Ranger Danger

You can. That would be one way to not be restricted by the unbalanced load limitations that comes with 240v split phase.

BUT that still only gets you half of the rating of the plug. The second thing it does is put all the current on a single pair of wires. You will be loading that 6 gauge up. Be sure to keep an eye on it to make sure you don't overheat the connector or the cable. Your connections will need to be really tight.

And make sure your cord is rated for it. Most 6ga cord is not rated for 50a.
If I go with the 120v 1ph setting, I will replace the 6 gauge 4 conductor with 2 or 4 gauge 3 conductor and then split the hot into 2 hots inside the sub panel. Would that work??

Ranger Danger

Also, I meant to add that I will not be using a plug but rather hard wiring the genny into the sub panel of the RV. It is not mobile. It is a weekend/vacation home until I retire when I will have a home built on the property.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

I am not aware of exactly how RV's are wired. But, I am sure someone will chime in with the proper knowledge.

I thought most RV's are wired for 120v single.

The MEP-802A single 120v does 52 amps. The connection info is on the connection switch. Wires are hooked to L3, N, and ground. Something similar will be at the RV with regards to wiring.

good luck

LittleBill

You are correct for smaller rv's in the 30 amp size. In this case its a 36' 3 slideout land yacht!! They are still 120v but fed by 2 legs instead of 1 for a 50 amp supply..
lets be clear here, the 30 amp connection is a 120v 3 wire setup. 50 amp is a 4 wire 240v connection REGARDLESS if only using 120v from either phase. people need to be careful with the 30 amp connection as its similar to a 30 amp dryer plug, yet the dryer plug is 240 and will smoke stuff in the rv. the 50 amp connection is normally wired as 240 and has no such issue

csheath

Won't it be split in the breaker panel? In a typical home panel you have two sides. 120v uses a single breaker and a 240v uses a double.

Ranger Danger

My problem is supplying the rv with enough amps to run. In 120v 1ph, the 5k will supply 52 amps. In 240v 1ph, it will only supply 26 amps. If I wire it with 4 gauge wire from the genny to the rv sub panel and then slit it off to 2 legs, I think I would be getting more amps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks