• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring Diagram and 12v vs 24v?

matttupp84

Does anyone know where i can possibly find a wiring diagram for a 51 m37. The wiring is shot in my truck.

And should i keep it 24v? Im really wanting to, but are there advantages to going to a 12v system?

Thanks guys

nattieleather

The wiring diagram can be found in the TM. If you don't have a copy you should get one. There are a couple different ones available. I don't have the numbers here in front of me, but I'm sure someone will jump on.

12V vrs 24v. That's up to you. By keeping it 24V you don't have to change anything. The lights are already 24v. The starter, the distributor, the gauges, the fuel sender, the heater if equiped with a stock one. Only the wiring needs to be replaced. If you go to 12V you'll need to change all those things over to 12v items.

The only advantage I see of going to 12v is running modern electronics in the vehicle. radio and charger for cell phone etc. Also aftermarket heaters are mostly 12v.,..that and if you blow a headlamp or a tail light on the road you can pick up a replacement almost anywhere were as you may need to travel with 24v spare bulbs if you stay 24v.

If it were my truck I'd stay stock 24V.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wiring diagram can be found in the TM. If you don't have a copy you should get one. There are a couple different ones available. I don't have the numbers here in front of me, but I'm sure someone will jump on.

12V vrs 24v. That's up to you. By keeping it 24V you don't have to change anything. The lights are already 24v. The starter, the distributor, the gauges, the fuel sender, the heater if equiped with a stock one. Only the wiring needs to be replaced. If you go to 12V you'll need to change all those things over to 12v items.

The only advantage I see of going to 12v is running modern electronics in the vehicle. radio and charger for cell phone etc. Also aftermarket heaters are mostly 12v.,..that and if you blow a headlamp or a tail light on the road you can pick up a replacement almost anywhere were as you may need to travel with 24v spare bulbs if you stay 24v.

If it were my truck I'd stay stock 24V.
Amen to all

majorhitt

AS mentioned I'd keep the 24v I have a 51, I replaced the wiring. If you pickup a harness that's most of the battle. you may still have to replace the wiring from the harness end connectors to the lamp assemblies. I bought all the terminal ends, coupling, male and female caps, and tape. cheaper than buying a completed item.

majorhitt

In my previous post I mentioned about the pig tails from the head lights,The Wiring diagram in the post by Rusty1340 shows all the wiring. Each item, the tail lights, head lights,blackout lights, etc, have tails that the harness either from a vendor or a nos do not include. These are available from the vendors for a good price. A set for the head lights is about $75. All the extra tails may add up to about $300. I went to a rally and picked up all the wire ,terminal ends male and female caps, tape and the terminal tool. All for about half the price. You do have to figure your time is worth something, and could you do it? If you're making a harness yourself, The hardest part on the harness is the large multi pin connector, You need a tool to remove the pins. If you don't have this tool and you have to repair the wire near the multi pin connector this is no treat either. One way or another you have to pay, your time or your money.

Last edited:

matttupp84

Thanks for the help. I'm a ways away from needing to wire it. But i am trying to get my ducks in a row. When you talk about buying the front and rear harness, or the pigtails for the lights. You are meaning you buy them and do all the wiring in between? if you buy a complete harness does it have all the pigtails? or do you still have to buy those as well?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure he means the pigtails that go from the inner fender to the headlight/turn signals. I don't think they usually come with the front harnesses. Should be very easy to make though.

matttupp84

Ok cool. Thanks. I'm not to fired up about making my own harness, but then again i'm not real fired up about spending $900 to buy one. haha. I'll just have to weigh my options when the time comes i guess.

majorhitt

A wiring harness front or rear will get you close to your fixtures. then the pigtails go from the harness to the fixture ( headlight black out light etc.) If you look at your headlight bucket, the wires coming out of the bucket are the pigtails. The same for your tail lights. You have to take the lamp housings apart and rewire them. In the picture the front harness comes up to the wire clips on the right side of the fender wall, From the right side of the photo there are three pigtails one from the head light one from the blackout light and one from the blackout drive light. Look and you could see where the light are grounded to the body, also the bottom connector that seams to go nowhere is for the blinker that they never ran a wire for.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks