• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring for mep803a

flhr62

I have a shop that has a breaker panel, and is wired, but no service to it. Generator is wired with 4 wires to RV box on the side. I would like to be able to run my welder and compressor at the shop with the generator occasionally. The 220 outlets in the shop have 3 wires. 2 hots and a ground. My question is, can I make a cord from my RV box to my 220 outlet leaving the neutral wire off? The breaker panel uses a common neutral and ground bar.

Thanks

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two answers. Yes, you can wire what you describe with a 3 wire setup. Current code requires a 4 wire setup. You can do it and it will work. It will not be code compliant.

Bmxenbrett

What you really should do is run the generator hot wires to the main lugs on the pannel, ground and neutral to there bars, drive a ground rod and hook it to the ground bar on the pannel. This way is safe and you can run all 120/240v loads in the shop. If you ever wanted to put a service on you would remove the generator wireing in the pannel and beable to keep the ground rod/wireing.