• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring Harness / Connectors

SMALBLK327

Does anyone know a supplier for the cannon plug connectors? Specifically I am looking for the connectors at the base of the cab (9 pin) Male and Female, I have had no luck...Worse case they do appear fairly reusable, with the pins simply soldering in, however I would like new if possible. Im rebuilding the majority of the harnesses myself, but I guess it couldnt hurt to ask, if anyone knows a source for complete harnesses? (Not Vintage Wiring of Maine) I cant afford the $900 price tag...Specifically id be looking for the cab forward to lights, front light harness, and possibly light switch to cab harness...Thanks!

BTW - This is for a M221 (Or M211/M135)... The M221 had slight wiring differences im willing to modify any m135/m211 harnesses for....

THANKS!

Also just a FYI for anyone working on these harnesses, I have found the CCT 1612 Tool works great for crimping on the male end of the Douglass connectors (packard used the same I guess, with the .156 pin), you just have to adjust the tool out as far as possible, the tool cost me $10 on ebay....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact Barrman.

He has a freind that sells oddball electical connectors. Ask him about the helicopter story a few years ago.

SMALBLK327

All of the newer connectors I have found dont look the same as the one im trying to replace, although im not exactly going for originality id like to replace it with the same ones, none of the old connectors have part numbers that seem to do me any good (I have GM and Bendix #'s), I figure I'll include a few pics of the stuff im looking for, im certain there has to have been a few people that have replaced these parts also????

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not hard to re-use those plugs. Pry the grommet off the back and just re-do the solder. When I un-solder the wires, get the wire out and when the solder is still molten, give it a blast of compressed air. Wear Safety Glasses! It leaves the terminal nice and clean. You can buff up the outside too, and they are like new. Also use rosin core solder (not acid core, or you will get corrosion). A little dielectric grease on the screw fittings and your like new. Those plugs are "almost" bullet proof.

SMALBLK327

The truck actually uses 3 of those connectors, I have only one new one, and will be using it, I still however need one for the headlights and one for th cab forward, not trying to be confusuing, I just have a third of the project ""New""....(1.5 actually, but that will just make it more confusing), I will rebuild the ones if I must (BTW, anyone know what tools removes the pins? The Male specifically?) I just wanted new if someone knew of a supplier, I was thinking of removing all the bushings and letting them sit in carb cleaner...would probably clean them up pretty decent...?), so, thats the story, sorry to be confusing..;) Im pretty much rebuilding all the harnesses from incorrect harnesses ive been able to pick up cheap...I figure when all is said and done Ill be extremely proficient in all the wiring...Not to mention, It should last another 60 years...

SMALBLK327

Rosco what do you do to buff them?? Are they solid brass? Wire Wheel? Soak em in carb cleaner? Pledge? ;P I dont want to burn off any coating..if there is any? Are they solid brass? Thanks for the info, if I cant find some new ones, rebuilding it will be...

nattieleather

Ah ok...I'm not lost any more. It's been 15 years since I had my M211 so my memory is getting a little fuzzy I forgot there were three connectors. I was just thinking of the one for the cab.

Do a web seach for 8 pin amphenol connector and see if you can find a match. But cleaning them up may do the job to.

Truck looks great! Keep up the good work and keep us supplied with more pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks