• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring harness issue

Big Z

I just bought one of these harnesses on ebay: M35A2 NOS MAIN WIREING HARNESS | eBay

And I was trying to put it in and noticed it was different than the one already on my A2. It is similar, but I wanted a plug-n-play harness, not something to dink around with. I had seen the NSN(?) on the listing (5995-00-861-9985) and it was different than saturnsurplus showed for their harness. So I did some searching on that number, and I was under the impression that the code was just a generic one meaning "wiring harness", and was not the actual NSN for an m35a2 harness. I couldn't find much on it.. There were also a couple positive reviews for the same part on the sellers page. So that's why I just bought it anyways..

Now what I'm wondering is, what did I wind up with? I didn't get far on installing today. Just fed some wires into the cab. Differences noted were the starter-button plugin was located unusually further down on the new harness (did older trucks have foot starter buttons?), and the new harness also was missing a bundle of connectors under the steering column in the engine compartment. I'm not at my deuce now but I want to say the missing connectors were where it connects to the blinker assembly? Anyways..any thoughts on this? At this point I'm just planning on sending it back and ordering from saturn to see what I come up with.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to verify the P/N in the manual with what you buy. There's several varients.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I saw it-I am 99% sure that harness is for early multifuels without turn signals. I'll bet dollars to donuts there are a big pair of cannon plugs on the engine side of the firewall above the steering column.

Big Z

Thanks
emmado22. I read through that thread before I posted this one, actually.
As far as I knew, there was only 1 appropriate front harness for all M35A2s. I think I'm with 73m819.

Big Z

I'll look into that, clinto. Maybe, if I don't just wrinkle it up in it's box and ship it off before then :D

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with Clinto. Every gasser harness i've seen used Douglas connectors.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a lot of variants of the harness, for many vehicles. The seller ofter give the impression that if you lay the thing out on the floor, it will look just like the wiring diagram. That can be far from the truth.

I found that out, when I re-wired my M37. There, even when I tried to connect two part of harnesses together, the connectors would be wrong - like two male conectors, rather then one each, male female.

Good Luck

41cl8m5

OK this is what I know on NSN:
The first 4 digits is the Federal Supply Class
The next 2 is for Country of Origin “00” and “01” is for USA
The last 7 digits is the Unique Number
Both the country of origin and the Unique Number together is
called the NIIN or the national item identification number, which uniquely identifies the item.
These nine digits (NIIN) are unique in that they specifically identify an item of supply; no other supply item in the whole universe of supply has the same NIIN.
This is the statement that was in the listing “FITS THE M35A2 5995-00-861-9985”
The Federal Supply Class “5995” is: - Cable Assemblies, Wiring Harnesses and Related Components
In the Parts TM9-2320-209-9985 the FSC is listed as 2590 not 5995. 2590 stands for “Miscellaneous Vehicular Components” or “Related Cable Assemblies / Harnesses and Electro-Mechanical Components”. It looks like the FSC was updated; the first # “2590” was generic the new number is more specific.
This is out of the TM: TM9-2320-209-34P
Fig. 64 Item# 30 SMR code: PAFZZ NSN 2590-00-861-9985
Part# 10872185 FSCM: 19207
Name: WIRING HARNESS: BRANCHED FRONT CHASSIS Note: AB,AC EA 1
AB: All models equipped with the multi-fuel LDS-427-2 engine
AC: All models equipped with multi-fuel engines LD-465-1, LD-465-1C or LDT-465-1 C
The NIIN is the same so the part should be the same.
If you look one line down from the 2590-00-861-9985 you will see:
Fig. 64 Item# 30 SMR code: PAFZZ NSN 2590-00-076-6001
Part# 10896819 FSCM: 19207
Name: WIRING HARNESS: FRONT, BRANCHED, FOR LIGHTS W/TURN SIGNAL WIRING Note: AB EA 1
It has the same Fig# and Part# the first Item #30 would be the oldest version. The NSN ending -6001 is the newer harness, the one with the turn signal wiring. So the others are correct this is for earlier m35s like the m35a1 (the first to get the multi fuel).
Breaking it down to understand can be mindboggling if you were never in the military maintenance system that is why I wrote this just to help out. It was hard for me to understand until I used the system over and over again. Then you have the other issue of mistypes or misprints in the TMs and you can see why in the back you could submit a correction that may or may not get to the right pile of paperwork to get changed. After I got out and used other parts systems it is the most intelligent just run by……..
Hope this helps

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bottom line, knowing all that stuff about NSN's is still irrelevant.

The harness that he bought doesnt fit a M35A2 truck because no one checked with the TM to see if the numbers matched.

steelandcanvas

Bottom line, knowing all that stuff about NSN's is still irrelevant. The harness that he bought doesnt fit a M35A2 truck because no one checked with the TM to see if the numbers matched.
True, however one should appreciate the fact that someone took the time to help us to understand the Government's stock number system.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And NSN's have been explained before, several times. Just like condition codes.

I spent 5 years working with NSN's when I was in as a Supply Officer. Knowing what a country code is, or that FSN's became NSN's in 1974/75, or to convert a FSN to a NSN, add a 00, or that 01 was used for new parts introduced after 1975 instead of 00 is all sort of irrelevant.

Bottom line, if the NSN doesnt match what you have/looking for, a few things need to be checked, like an updated NSN in the latest TM change, or there is a interm change listed in PS Magazine that will be implimented in the next TM change, or you have the wrong part/NSN. The last being the most likey.

As to believing sellers on ebay and at MV shows as to what parts fit what, I have a rule. Trust, but verify. Thats why I have a laptop with all my ETMs on it, and the power of the internet. Every "Wiring Harness, Branched" or "Cable, Special Purpose", or "Seal, Plain Encased" all looks the same as the one your looking for at a show or in the pictures on Ebay. Check the NSN with the TM, and you are in good shape.

Here is some more info on NSN's... http://www.dlis.dla.mil/PDFs/NSN.pdf

Last edited:

Josh

Im having Dan (an/arc186) make me a new harness. Both front and rear. His price for a brand new one all the way around was simular to a NOS that could be who knows how old. Dan is an electrical genius. Might want to send him a pm before ya go buy a NOS one.