• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring help!?

neil2007

Hello all!

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the wire indicated in the photo is supposed to be. I believe it is supposed to go to source voltage, but I am not for sure and would like to find out before I do hook it up to a switched +24v. Also, is it suppose to have some kind of a seal where it goes into the distributor housing?

One last question... has anyone retrofitted an electrical starter solinoid that can be controlled with an ignition key instead of having to use the mechanical linkage to activate the starter?

Thanks!

Neil

Attachments

Crazyguyla

Niel,
it lookks like wire is hooked to the coil. That hole in the distributer is where the tach adapter fits. Normally there is a plug right there. Someone before you must have jury rigged the wire for a tach.

acetomatoco

That wire does not belong there stock.. Your hot wire from the accessory switch, read ignition switch, should screw in with a connector on the bottom side of the housing..thru a capacitor and also a voltage reducing resistor.. What is the other end of the mystery wire attached to? I sure would take off the screws holding the outer cap on and look at what else might be amiss in there....a little brass plug is normally in that hole...to keep it watertight. The plumbing for what I guess is a hot water heater is rather different to day the least.. almost looks like a deep water fording kit valve used as a shutoff.. The Fire Service could have burned up their own truck...and a plastic fuel filter to boot. Is that a siren relay on the inner fender? Have fun.. and welcome to Reo World...

neil2007

Re: RE: Wiring help!?

acetomatoco said:
That wire does not belong there stock.. Your hot wire from the accessory switch, read ignition switch, should screw in with a connector on the bottom side of the housing..thru a capacitor and also a voltage reducing resistor..
That's good to know... I'll look into this tonight when I'm running the new fuel line and filter.

What is the other end of the mystery wire attached to?
If memory serves me correct, it was attached to one of the battery positive terminals. I'll have to double check this tonight as well..

I sure would take off the screws holding the outer cap on and look at what else might be amiss in there....
Another job on the list for tonight.... 8 ')

a little brass plug is normally in that hole...to keep it watertight. The plumbing for what I guess is a hot water heater is rather different to day the least.. almost looks like a deep water fording kit valve used as a shutoff.. The Fire Service could have burned up their own truck...and a plastic fuel filter to boot.
Is that a siren relay on the inner fender?
Could be... I'll check that tonight too. Is it rare to have a siren on the fender?

Speaking of sirens.... What is the rule of thumb as far as having sirens and lights on a privately owned fire truck that still see's road use occasionally? Is it legal to have them hooked up and functioning (but not on while driving)? It's been suggested to me that I need to put covers over any functional red lights that are on the vehicle for street use... anyone know what Indiana's stance is on that?

and welcome to Reo World...
Thank you! I've always wanted to see what it was like living in the Reo world, vs..... my own!
:p

Thanks for the help!

Neil

neil2007

Re: RE: Wiring help!?

Crazyguyla said:
Neil,
it looks like wire is hooked to the coil. That hole in the distributer is where the tach adapter fits. Normally there is a plug right there. Someone before you must have jury rigged the wire for a tach.
I do not see any evidence of a tach. I believe it goes to the pos. term of the battery.

Thanks for the info on the plub and tach adapter!

Neil

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: Wiring help!?

The starter solenoid is just a remote solenoid that is activated by your foot. It is bolted to the starter, but if you really wanted to, you could find a 24V solenoid to replace it with that is switch or button activated. Think farm tractor for a possible source.

I personally like the kick start method that is stock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks