• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring IR lights... appropriate way to do so?

CanonNinja

Got my IR lights mounted on the bumper, and want to get them wired in for some night time fun. The idea that I had was tap into the power for the blackout light, ran to a 24v relay for each IR lamp. I'm still not sure where I want to catch my constant power or what fuse rating to use for the lamps. Would this be appropriate for the application? Also, I haven't opened the lamps up yet, but looking at the back of the lamps at the packard connectors, which is power and which is ground? It's a side-by-side connection, both the same size plug

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Both are hot. The ground is through the mounting post. There is both a high and low beam but the military for IR purposes make both wires have juice but it isn't really necessary. I've used civie PVS-7D goggles and had excellent results on low beam.

CanonNinja

awesome. That's actually what I have, and wanted to play on some property at night coming up once it gets a little cooler.

which is the low beam?

avengeusa

i think the low beam is wired to the left terminal facing the rear of the light assy, i can check later for you

mistaken1

I tapped the 24VDC positive battery post and installed an inline, 30A, water resistant fuse holder with a standard two pin 30A automotive fuse. I ran the power to a 20A single-pole, double-throw, center off switch that I mounted in an existing hole on the dash. I ran two switch legs to the lights and arranged the switch so that up is high and down is low.

I am planning on installing some sort of LED indicator light in the cab to let me know when the lights are on and at what setting (right now I just use the switch position).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks