• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring, need a little help

AlexFolino

Hello, i was wondering if anybody can take a picture of the back of each alternator on their running M1008 and show exactly where all the wires go i.e to the blocks, grounds, etc and where they end up i.e firewall, frame ground, etc.. I cant get my printer to work to print the schematics and i finally got my alternators back from rebuild and im going to just put in all fresh new wiring for the charging system for atleast what i can see from the pictures. Atleast this way i can run in the house and look at a physical picture and get this baby closer to running in tip top shape. After that, ill do the Doghead mod. I will send some cash for a beer for whoevers efforts, i need this info that bad because this must be on the road come Friday(daily driver)! thanks!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's just meet at a rally or show sometime and have a cold one together.

Glad to help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grabbed these from the site sometime. I take no credit for the photos.

Hope it helps.
Glad to see the pictures I posted are still being used and referenced.

I have hundreds that I keep in my Manual directories for the different MVs.

AlexFolino

Ok so tonight after thanksgiving im going to go out and tackle this. I did a quick look at the back of my passenger alternator before work today and the orange fused link going to power was dangling behind the motor. The red/white was going to positive on back of alt(yikes). Only issue im seeing is coming out of main wiring harness on passenger side next to manifold, the harness makes a little J in the plastic with a cut thick red wire coming out of it. Theres a 6 molded in the plastic. Im going to trace it but im willing to bet thats supposed to be my power wire to positive on back of PASS alternator. Im going to attach a picture here below because im curious now if the wrong alternator is there. Im going to run a part # on it sometime today. I dont have a wire going to the ICE and im missing a ground stud for where the red/white is supposed to go. (GETTING SO CLOSE!!!!!):-D

AlexFolino

BACK OF ALT. Notice its missing the ground stud on bottom left corner for red/wht and i dont see where one could even go. Also notice where the red/wht goes, red wire is supposed to go there and im assuming its the wire down below here in the next attached pic.

Wiring harness. The red wiring coming out of 6 is the alt pos wire correct?

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have some issues to work out.

First thought is that someone has attempted to convert your truck to 12v,

We need more pictures to help figure this out.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Thanks for the information and the photos.
They may help me solve my '85 M1009 alternator issues too..

One thing I will do, is the doghead mod, once I do get it running again.

Happy Thanksgiving, God bless all of you...

CJ

AlexFolino

Sorry took so long for pics, went away to hunting camp the past 4 days. Ok below i snapped a pic of the passenger alternator part number, the passenger side wiring post, and the driver side wiring post. If any more pictures are needed i can run out and take them. A confusing part on this truck too is one of the heavy gauge cables from the battery goes straight down to the starter but it looks as if its coming off of the wrong battery?

412-8772857
alex

thanks!

Attachments

AlexFolino

So my batteries are correct then, just went and looked. Another thing i noticed is BAT 1 has 3 grounds for some reason, 1 going to the frame, 1 going to the valve cover, and then 1 going to the NEG TERM BOARD. Im going to have to address that also now. I got 2 fresh batteries, going to wire everything correctly based on some members pics on this site and the schematic, start it up, check for proper voltage across the 2 batteries, then last but not least check key on key off power from each ALT plug, hopefully i see the right numbers. After this, im going to check and see why my volt gauge doesnt work, ill check the resistor in it. Ill keep everyone informed!

AlexFolino

ugh... Today i rewired the passenger side alternator. red/white to ground alt terminal(coming from driver side diamond post), red to positive alt terminal (coming from positive terminal bored), wired the orange fusible link wire to the red positive. As soon as you hook up the batteries, the negative battery terminal turns in to a welder on battery 1 and melts the battery terminal. What am i doing wrong here?

Before i started rewiring the truck the pass alternator had the red/white going to the positive terminal on alternator, no wire going to the ground, the only wire that came off the alt was the red wire coming from the plug and it went to the passenger positive board.

I notice in the schematic it says supressor coming off the red/white wire. Do i need to add another wire off of that to ground to the frame? Im just totally depressed over this situation anymore, i need this truck to run by next week or im without a vehicle. Can somebody please maybe even call me? I just dont know what to do anymore

Attachments

mistaken1

Sounds like maybe the PO wired the alternators and batteries in parallel to make it 12V rather than in series.

You need to get some paper and trace out every wire that connects to the batteries, alternators and terminal boards (bus) and draw a picture of what is currently connecting to what. Wire colors are nice but what everyone needs to know is physically how it is wired. No "it looks like" or "I think it connects to" we need to know exactly what is connected to what.

You can scan or photograph you drawings of the field verified wiring and maybe we can help sort this out.

AlexFolino

I did this, everything is correct.. this is why im so confused. Only thing i cant figure out is i have a wire(blue) coming off of the positive terminal board that connects to a heavy(8)red wire and this wire goes nowhere. I cant even find on any schematic what its there for.

AlexFolino

One was off that i overlooked and it was obvious:cookoo:.. the battery wire should be on the 3rd post on the POSITIVE BLOCK with the starter wire. Would that cause this issue? Also on my red/white on the pass alt, i put a plastic washer behind it. There was nothing on this little stud at all but i know a fiber washer goes there. Now i notice on my drivers it has the washer,a nut, then the wire end, then nut. Does it have to be like this or can i get away with what i did? Also on the ENGINE WIRING HARNESS BLOCK its supposed to have only the drivers 1 RED going to the right stud, however it is sharing some wires from the other side. Does any of this matter? Im decent with electric but not great so please bare with me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks