• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring question. 24V one wire alternator into HMMWV

Farnorth

Due to a failed generator in a 1986 Humvee, I've decided to install a self-exciting alternator in it's place. Other than the ground, the original generator has 3 wires, two small and one large. One small wire has a bullet connector (as far as I can tell this is the signal wire to charge), the other small wire and large wire attach to studs under the protective cover. If I go to the one wire alternator, I am told to tie back and cover the two small wires, and just connect the large positive wire to the new alternator. Does anyone know what the small wire under the cover is for? I'm wondering that if I only connect the large wire to the alternator, that I may not have a reading to my voltmeter? Any help with this conversion would be appreciated.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ac voltage to tell the pcb that the engine is running... that disengages the starter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks