• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring Question

notso

What does the small of the two wires off the pos. terminal on the battery go to>

The insulation on mine decided to give up and weld the wire to the frame.

I lost some of the conductor, and I dont know if it needs a splice to if it can just be wrapped back up. Anyone know what this feeds and about how many amps is might see?

Jake0147

I believe that you're going to find that if there are only two wires, the small wire goes to the generator/alternator, the wire that the current is delivered by to recharge the batteries. The current will vary but will be high at times. It should be repaired to 100 percent of the wires original capacity, however you go about it. A brief look at the TM shows two wires always there, the fat one to the starter, that smaller one to the alternator, and optional attachments to that post are the slave cable receptacle, and the radio power supply.

steelandcanvas

I believe that you're going to find that if there are only two wires, the small wire goes to the generator/alternator, the wire that the current is delivered by to recharge the batteries. The current will vary but will be high at times. It should be repaired to 100 percent of the wires original capacity, however you go about it. A brief look at the TM shows two wires always there, the fat one to the starter, that smaller one to the alternator, and optional attachments to that post are the slave cable receptacle, and the radio power supply.
Interesting, I do not have this extra wire on my Deuce, just the fat one to the starter.

tm america

i think on some the alt wire runs to the starter .follow it . i bet its the slave rec. wire they short to ground alot . the grommets where it goes through the floor are ussually missing

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it like 0 ga or 8 ga? The parts truck I just hacked had a wire that went from the Alt to the + batt. This was one of the trucks with a 25 to 60A conversion.

Numbers

Depends upon which schematic one follows positive wires go to the following:

1. Starter Solenoid: wire# 6 (terminal 2) (60 amp alternator and generator also ties into terminal 2 via wire #2)
2. Slave Receptacle: wire# 49
3. Radio Receptacle: wire# 48 (newer pub does not list but older pub lists it as 48 (terminal A)

On 100 amp alternator: battery wire goes to terminal A of the regulator before going to alternator.

notso

Ok, from the descriptions, it is likely the alternator. There is a large cable alongside it, going through the frame and forward. A third large cable, going to rearward is there too, which I am pretty sure now is the slave receptical.

Anyway, it has been spliced with a appropriate butt joint and then retaped and covered.

The grommet had worked its way out of the frame and the insulation had worn off against the rough edge of the hole.

Got it back together and jumped. After it ran and charged, it started up just fine.

40yr old electrics are fun...

on a positive note, I have found that this truck is the best truck in the world because I can actually sit up underneath it to work on it.