• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring Questions confusion

cheiser666

I picked up my first 1008. It didnt have batteries and it hasnt been started in 6 years. There were 4 battery wires coming off of the firewall block, 2 pos, 2 neg.
I got 2 new batteries and hooked both up as previous owner had, i got a very slow crank and the wait light wasnt on.

I rewired it as shown on the wiring diagram in the stickies.

My wait light now comes on, and it cranks much faster.

After cranking for about 2 min (not constantly) my brand new batteries are dead.

My questions-
1. why does the wait light only come on when wired in series if the GP's are 12v?
2. Am i doing something wrong by wiring it in series? Am i missing something?

Thanks

dstang97

What you need to do is find out if your system has ben hacked. It sounds like they did a 12v conversion. Once you find out what starter you have report back. it should be stamped 12 or 24.

dstang97

Yes there are a lot of stupid people out there. You should see some of the nasty things they did to my 08/28 trucks

ryan77

The biggest problem with these trucks is people don't know how to work on them and butcher the wiring every one ive bought off a non military sale was hacked up!! Read the tm on here. Post some pics of engine bay so i can look at it. Ive rewired about 10 of these trucks!!!!!!

dstang97

The biggest problem with these trucks is people don't know how to work on them and butcher the wiring every one ive bought off a non military sale was hacked up!! Read the tm on here. Post some pics of engine bay so i can look at it. Ive rewired about 10 of these trucks!!!!!!
that is what i am doing right now. if people would just leave them alone and not re-engineer the wheel, there would be a lot more cucv's around.

ryan77

The common theme seems to be gen light bulb burns out, Joe blow mechanic cant figure out why alt wont charge and then attempts to hack the wire's up.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up my first 1008. It didnt have batteries and it hasnt been started in 6 years. There were 4 battery wires coming off of the firewall block, 2 pos, 2 neg.
I got 2 new batteries and hooked both up as previous owner had, i got a very slow crank and the wait light wasnt on.

I rewired it as shown on the wiring diagram in the stickies.

My wait light now comes on, and it cranks much faster.

After cranking for about 2 min (not constantly) my brand new batteries are dead.

My questions-
1. why does the wait light only come on when wired in series if the GP's are 12v?
2. Am i doing something wrong by wiring it in series? Am i missing something?

Thanks
Hey,
I live 5 miles from you. PM me and you can come over and look at my M1028s if it helps!
Good Luck

cheiser666

So i was working on it today and it was cranking good with a jump start and fresh batteries.

Then it slowed and i looked at the supressor was smoking. Now i have no cranking. Do you think i burned the starter?

cheiser666

So i was working on it today and it was cranking good with a jump start and fresh batteries.

Then it slowed and i looked at the supressor was smoking. Now i have no cranking. Do you think i burned the starter?