• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring questions

snowdad

Good morning to everyone. I have a couple of questions on the wiring harness. Is the entire harness 16 ga and if not which circuits are different and what guage are they? Excluding the battery cables.

Secondly, where can one find individual Douglas components? My restoration (that I hope to get back on soon) is a 1953 M-37/M-42 and has the Douglas system. I have plenty of shells and hope to be able to salvage most of the bushings. I need the terminals and the rubber grommets. Where can one purchase these individually? Thanks in advance

Phillip

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Phillip,

I would contact John Bizal @ Midwest Military or VPW they both have them.

I would ask John B about the wire gauge question while you are ordering the parts you need, he is a wealth of information.

Bert

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think John sells individual components, just the set of pieces. Vintage Wiring of Maine does though.

Mike_L

Most of the harness is 14g wire with a few circuits of 8g & 12g. I don't recall running into any 16g yet or seeing it used in the parts manual.

Mike_L

Yes, give me a day or two to take a look at the parts manual. If you have the '54 edition of the ORD 9 manual, that is where I am getting my info from.

Mike_L

Phillip,

The ORD 9 TM shows 8g wire is used in the harness running between the generator & regulator (the sheathed cable, PN 7351057), in the regulator harness (coming off the other side of the regulator, PN CC-150140) circuit #4 to the starter; and the radio power harness (PN 7731417) circuits #48 & 73.

It also shows 12g wire used in the harness running between the generator & regulator (PN 7351057) and in the regulator harness (PN CC-150140) circuit #10 to the circuit breakers.

Everything else I see in the TM shows 14g wire for the M37.

I don't know what the individual circuit numbers are for the wires in the generator-regulator cable. Maybe someone who has taken it apart may know.

Hope this helps.

majorhitt

Hello Snowdad, I picked up a lot if not all of my shells ,grommets, etc. from a fellow at a swap meet in Pa. I'll have to do a little digging to locate the name. I do believe he'll be at the swap meet in Jim Throp Pa. Again I'll have to look for the date on that. I picked up extras of each, even the double shell type. What do you need and how many?

majorhitt

Hello Snowdad. I did a little digging and found where I got the Douglas parts, Try Brian Asbury I think he's with Red ball, I have a phone no. But not sure if it's good 519-853-1738 hope this helps. Ed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks