• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgive my ignorance, but what does it start? The truck starts fine I guess and it's unplugged...
Oooppps!! I missed it had a connection on the end! Yeah mine have that too and are not hooked to anything. The other blue wire coming out of the box is the starter relay wire that kicks the starter on. 2 of mine had that clipped and had a ford starter relay botched in them. I removed all that and put it back to stock. I haven't tried to figure out what it might do but all mine are just taped to the harness behind the master.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

walkerbzz11

Oooppps!! I missed it had a connection on the end! Yeah mine have that too and are not hooked to anything. The other blue wire coming out of the box is the starter relay wire that kicks the starter on. 2 of mine had that clipped and had a ford starter relay botched in them. I removed all that and put it back to stock. I haven't tried to figure out what it might do but all mine are just taped to the harness behind the master.

Ok. We'll leave it for now. Thanks.

cucvrus

That blue wire goes to a fuel pump on the M1010 models. The fuel pump is mounted on the left inner fender and pumps fuel to the rear diesel fired heater in the rear of the M1010. It is not used on other units and does not get attached to anything. I think it also is used on the winterization kit to heat supply fuel for the heating system. I only ever had 1 with that kit and it was in very poor condition.

walkerbzz11

That blue wire goes to a fuel pump on the M1010 models. The fuel pump is mounted on the left inner fender and pumps fuel to the rear diesel fired heater in the rear of the M1010. It is not used on other units and does not get attached to anything. I think it also is used on the winterization kit to heat supply fuel for the heating system. I only ever had 1 with that kit and it was in very poor condition.
What wire could I install a kill switch on? The blue wire WWRD99 was talking about that goes to the starter? Thanks.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What wire could I install a kill switch on? The blue wire WWRD99 was talking about that goes to the starter? Thanks.
Yes you can...it's easier to kill the ground to the relay under the dash...the 12 volt side ground.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What if I want it hidden a little better?
You can kill the ground and bury a switch under the dash...I don't like switches on power sides...to much possibility of failure.

Buck69

What if I want it hidden a little better?
I'm going to do the same with mine. There is a nice size void between the ashtray and glove box. If you remove the glove box, it will give you good access to mount a toggle to interrupt the start relay. Position the toggle so you can reach up from the underneath is what I was thinking.

walkerbzz11

I'm going to do the same with mine. There is a nice size void between the ashtray and glove box. If you remove the glove box, it will give you good access to mount a toggle to interrupt the start relay. Position the toggle so you can reach up from the underneath is what I was thinking.
Is that ground wire over that way or are you gonna reroute it over there?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The relay is right above the diag plug...very easy to get to. The only metal one under there.

Buck69

The ground for the relay (black wire) goes into the harness. You just have to interrupt it with an on off toggle. Moving the toggle (extend the wire) to the other side of ash tray hides it from anyone looking up under the dash. Looked like a good spot to me that could still be reached from the drivers seat with a little stretch. 4 screws removes the glove box. take a peak

walkerbzz11

The ground for the relay (black wire) goes into the harness. You just have to interrupt it with an on off toggle. Moving the toggle (extend the wire) to the other side of ash tray hides it from anyone looking up under the dash. Looked like a good spot to me that could still be reached from the drivers seat with a little stretch. 4 screws removes the glove box. take a peak
Thanks. Glove box is out already for other work.

walkerbzz11

Will a 2 position 12v toggle switch work for this?

walkerbzz11

Yes. Pretty much any on/of switch will work. The black wire carries 1 amp or there about. Regardless, it won't be thrown while energized anyway.
Is this what you're talking about? And am I missing the "plate" that these mount on? I just kinda stuffed the other plugs and wires up out of the way for this picture otherwise they'd be hanging there too.

Attachments

Buck69

That looks to be the start relay. The 2 smaller ones that were mounted next to it were gen 2 and volt gauge. The small black wire (16ga) is the ground first referenced by WWRD99 and the one I am interrupting along with the ground for a fuel pump relay (w/ same switch) which I added. My truck now has a 5.7 Vortec in it. All the 24v and diesel components/related wiring has been removed.
IMG_7054.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks